Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Borax is a flux this isn't anything new. Borax isn't a replacement for mercury. The recovery medium is the carpets in their sluice.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Borax is a flux this isn't anything new. Borax isn't a replacement for mercury. The recovery medium is the carpets in their sluice.

The video is old news.

I’ve used both mercury and borax.

In a way borax is a substitute for mercury. If you are trying to get fine gold out of your heavies in a hurry you can either mix with mercury and amalgamate OR melt with some borax to create a gold button. Both methods work fairly well.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats smelting not recovery

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is Borax Toxic?

A much better and less expensive solution would be to teach miners to recycle their mercury. A simple retort used properly will be much more healthy and much less expensive.

This isn't rocket science. Fluxes and retorts have been used for thousands of years. They each have their place in recovering gold.

Heavy Pans

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being a small scale placer miner for many years I had never heard of using borax for gold extraction. That said: I have been using borax to cure my salmon eggs (roe) for fish bait for 50 plus years. It toughens the skeen (membrane & eggs skin)...and I have never known of any adverse health effects....I have gone through a lot of boxes of borax over the years.

Bejay

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a small scale placer miner for many years I had never heard of using borax for gold extraction. That said: I have been using borax to cure my salmon eggs (roe) for fish bait for 50 plus years. It toughens the skeen (membrane & eggs skin)...and I have never known of any adverse health effects....I have gone through a lot of boxes of borax over the years.

Bejay

yup, borax and brown sugar makes great bait.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apples and oranges
Mercury and borax are part of two completely different processes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread