Dry Washing For An Income

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in hearing from the experienced prospectors on the forum on the subject of drywashing. I have a claim & have done some testing via small batch samples. The claim was worked by old timers but I think there is still good gold left behind by them. My testing has shown just shy of a gram per yard with some hot spots showing double that. The problem & possibly the reason I think there is still gold on the claim is lack of water in close proximity. I read an article last year written in a mining journal stating that many dry areas on claims are not worked because of this reason. The writer went on to state that with the advent & improvement in drywashers these abandoned areas can now possibly be worked profitably without water. I have no experience with them but with rising gold prices now around $1600/ounce I am seriously thinking about taking a shot at trying this processing system on my claim. I am undecided as to using a puffer or a gas powered Keene like the 161 which is enclosed for low dust. Possibly one of each - I don't know. I do like the idea of working in solitude with a battery powered puffer but not sure if enough gravels could be processed to make any money. Do you guys have any thought as to the drywashing idea & if a gram per yard could prove worthwhile? I'm not talking about getting rich LOL. But possibly producing an ounce a week would be great. Also, i'd like to say hello to everyone & this is my first post. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They like to tell you 300 yards, but it's 300 FEET. Not knowing where, I'd say go for it. Quarter mile to water is 440 yards so you're safe anyway. Drywashing will limit you though. Lower yield, then you still need water to finish. Are you northwest, west or southwest of Reno? Northwest puts you in my backyard. West has some water from Truckee river drainage, and southwest has Carson river drainage though not as good has the Truckee.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to be completely honest with you. Forget this pipe dream now. Fuel, equipment fatigue, even finding an honest buyer. The "professional" placer miners I have met are skinny, dirty, off the grid types that can't pay for groceries or gas. ANYONE that tells you it can be done, has never tried. Enjoy the hobby.:skullflag:

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buyer lined up at The Prospectors Shop in Oroville. Pays 85% of spot. A puffer would not require fuel but would need batteries charged. I don't think there would be much expense. I have experience living off grid for months at a time. Bucket toilet, 2 gallon pump sprayer sitting in sun all day for nightly shower, propane cook stove with MRE's & oatmeal for breakfast. I pack in all my food for a 2 to 3 month stay. All non perishable. Been there & done it. Just another day at the beach for me. Temperatures there are 40 to 45 degrees in the mornings rising to sometimes over 100 in late afternoon. Lots of gatorade & water. I can live dirt cheap for long periods of time. Just not sure about the digging & how well the drywashers function. Of course you can't count on ground paying the same everywhere either. I still want to try. I love it when someone tells me it can't be done. That's a challenge for me.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to be completely honest with you. Forget this pipe dream now. Fuel, equipment fatigue, even finding an honest buyer. The "professional" placer miners I have met are skinny, dirty, off the grid types that can't pay for groceries or gas. ANYONE that tells you it can be done, has never tried. Enjoy the hobby.:skullflag:

I don't disagree with that. I don't make a living at it, so it's exercise and therapy from society. But you can hope the hole card works JUST ONCE.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so you know, I take a shower with 1/2 gallon of water. That's a military type shower. I made a mistake on the 300 yard distance - mike is right - 300 ft. Good catch mike.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your venture. Not as easy as you make it sound. But it is your choice. We use 5 gallons to shower at our claim. We can at least use some soap. I'm smellin' something similar so I'm out.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my question to Terry Soloman is are you saying a hard working man with modern equipment working on good pay ground can't produce one ounce of gold per week? Just want to get it straight.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said it was easy or if it would produce enough gold. As far as off grid living, I'm quite comfortable living like that. I really do take a shower with 1/2 gallon of water. You use a pressure sprayer to wet down. Then lather up & rinse. It's not hard.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again. Feel like we’ve met before.

When we go elk hunting it’s days before showers and then $1.50 at the RV park only buys so much water. Maybe all miners are kind of the same.

How far to town from where your mining?

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike691, I also use soap. That's a very condescending attitude. Here's how you take a shower with 1/2 gal of water. I usually have a couple of 2 gal water pressure sprayers sitting in the sun while i'm working. They get nice & warm during the day. You can also use a water bladder (5 or 6 gal) as a source to heat water & transfer that to a sprayer. I have a shower tent I set up. You spray yourself down with water, lather up, spray yourself off. This generally requires 1/2 gal of water. You can use a bit more but not necessary.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry Digger also known as Silveraith, when your banned under one name for threatening a member you dont get to rejoin under new name and start over.

Say goodbye.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my question to Terry Soloman is are you saying a hard working man with modern equipment working on good pay ground can't produce one ounce of gold per week? Just want to get it straight.

IF you have ground that gives up an ounce a week, I'll eat your hat. You are obviously a greenhorn with no idea of what you are doing. God bless you and keep you. In the end, you can get a job digging ditches. Same work, more money, and you can go home at night and relax. Dreaming is a young man's pursuit.:skullflag:

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had me going for the first two pages lol.

Was actually interesting to read but the minute the OP went off the rails in anger at some good advice...

Got to hand it to Treasure Hunter. He smelled that one out quickly!

Chuck

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shultz.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, why not start an openly fictional thread and show off your writing skills? You might get just as much attention.

Unless it’s intended to be disrespect and personal.
I’m positive you still have an account in good standing.

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know, but this may have blown out his options. His TVshow thread is gone. so not many options left. Just as good. Maybe he needs to learn by reading before jumping in with plans to take over the mining world

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I fell for it -- but I did learn something that I will have to research --- no Drywashing within 300 feet of river ????
never heard of that before and if it's true -- WHY--
Cheers Mike

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only the play account is gone.

There are others in good standing I’m sure.

Which one of you are guilty? ;)

I've been banned from many forums for speaking my mind. GPAA didn't like that much. I can say I survived here as long as I've been here, though did once have a run in with Treasure Hunter. I don't think I've been sent to my corner once, and have never changed my name. Think I'm safe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread