Hookah and gravity / siphon sluicing.

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So , me and a buddy have a couple claims up in northern Calif. They both have proven gold . Last year we did pretty well , enough gold to keep us going .
********************************************************************** With all of the convoluted laws I have 2 questions. I hope that you very experienced guys can chime in on some things .

1.) I am not using a motor to siphon material into my sluice. My interpretation of current law is that this is ok to do . Please understand that I don't ever want to ruin habitat and I know that I am not . The trout seem to love being around us eating the occasional bug that we dislodge : ) Is my interpretation correct ?

2. ) I would love to set up a Hookah . I plan on attaching an electric motor to a pulley system to my air pump then power it up with a mini Honda generator. So , we are not using the motor(s) to move any material , only using it to breath . Is this Kosher ? We used a mask and snorkel last year but we are generally in 3 tp 5 foot of water and submerging and re-surfacing every minute gets pretty laborious.

I know that most of you fellers are not lawyers but would love to have some folks chime in on this subject .
I hate to draw attention to this kind of thing but I hate the uneasy feeling I get sometimes. Having to go to court over some stupid infraction is not my idea of fun . Finding gold IS . I will delete this post if appropriate and just do PMs.

Thanks in advance . ; )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are great questions and I'm chiming in simply so I can read the responses.
Good luck Wiggler, and share some pictures of your gold if you're up for it.
- Brian

OP
OP
Wiggler

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold summer2019.jpeg gold summer2019.jpeg

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I have learned here on the T.N. and other sites is your Interpretation of the law means nothing, sadly those who enforce the law in California may have there own interpretation on the law and that is what you will have to contend with. From what I am seeing the laws maybe changing soon, lets hope so. Good luck

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your interpretation is wrong in the eys of "the law". The original written statute mentioned motorized methods, but has since been updated to say that you cant use any method to suck up gravel and process it through a system.

I'm not saying to stop, just that you can still get fined and have your possessions impounded.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told by DF&W LEOs that the use of a motorized Hookah is not allowed and will be cited This is because, as written, the law states the use of motorized equipment to process gravels for gold or to aid in the recovery is illegal. They have stated to me that snipping for gold with a motorized hookah is specifically why that part is there as it is an aid in the process.

I know other will disagree but that is what I have been told. Then again I am not well liked in the DF&W community.

OP
OP
Wiggler

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I edited a couple of things out just cuzz ....... thanks for all of the replies and interpretations ! I welcome them all.

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been told by DF&W LEOs that the use of a motorized Hookah is not allowed and will be cited This is because, as written, the law states the use of motorized equipment to process gravels for gold or to aid in the recovery is illegal. They have stated to me that snipping for gold with a motorized hookah is specifically why that part is there as it is an aid in the process.

Been there done that and was told the same thing. Since my stream wasn’t more than 20 foot wide, I wanted to place my motorized hookah system on the shore. When told by the Idaho Dept. of Water Resources that if I am using this to search for gold, it would be considered illegal. I asked, why is it possible for someone who is camping along the river banks can operate a motorized generator but I cannot use a motorized hookah placed in the similar fashion (along the banks) :BangHead: I got the same nonsense talk that a generator does not conform to aiding in the recovery of gold like the hookah system does. :icon_scratch: Heck, he didn’t even want to hear that I was just a rock collector in need of such gear. Lol. I’m telling you that it’s tough being a prospector. My advise is that when all else fails, strap on a scuba tank and have at it.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Would a water wheel power an air compressor?? and would a water wheel be considered a motor??
Always looking for a loop-hole.
Nice gold
Cheers Mike

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you believe the wording provided, then better not start your vehicle anywhere near your operation.. Interpretation is relied on too much here. If you use a hookah system to breath air and dive it's just that, and that is not illegal. A vehicle aids you and is motorized, an air pump to inflate a tire or mattress at camp aids you in collecting minerals. A blue bowl at cleanup time near a river aids you, but take it home and do the same and its fine? A DANG INSULIN PUMP aided my partner today on the river collecting minerals, should he be cited to??

Mahtaju

Mar 2, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously what's with the wacky loopholes intentionally left to set people up... lord have mercy

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i guess my gas powered metal detector idea has some legal issues

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess my gas powered metal detector idea has some legal issues

As a kid, I saw a treasure show where a guy had mounted a detector on his Jeep and used it here in AZ looking for gold. I haven't seen it since but that was one show that I never forgot! It was a 4 to 5 foot round coil.

unnamed.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread