The passing of Keith Walker

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to pass on that I was advised today that miner Keith Walker has passed. Keith was not a well known miner outside of the mother load area. He is most notable as he was the miner that wrote is own complaint and brief that got him into the consolidated cases in San Bernardino cases. He was his own attorney and not part of any of the groups. Keith didn't own a computer so he went to the public library and typed everything out on old electric typewriter they had!

He was a full time miner that had to take a job when the "moratorium" hit. He was on a good pay streak at that time and just wanted to finish that off so his daughter could go to school. I never got to mine with Keith and didn't know him outside of San Bernardino but enjoyed the mining chats we had in the down time there. He was wicked smart when it came to slot canyons!

Anyway, I just someone should say something on his behalf..........

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So sorry to see another one of us pass, wish I could have met him and learned from him his experience, I will going to the 25th annual WPMA gold show this weekend and it is bitter sweet for I knew so many people that are now gone but in me they are still alive and I will share what they taught me to keep them alive in others.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry to hear that.

I didn't know Keith but I read his brief and I was impressed with the depth of his understanding and his persistence in getting it right. I think his brief would have stood on it's own. I was sorry to see his efforts get lost in the mess of the consolidated cases.

I'm sure he was an asset to the Motherlode mining community and will be missed. We need more thoughtful men and women like Keith.

May he RIP.

Heavy Losses

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for posting Clay. Most of us old guys have had a lot of our mining friends pass. But we always shared that "gold fever". It is really a unique experience and creates a lot of comradery ....in many ways. Your posting brings to mind many who have passed.

Bejay

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Keith was a friend of mine from Rodz Grille in Angels Camp,Ca.Spoke with and sat with him hundreds of times as he talked about his lawsuits on behalf of all the dredgers.He worked with Bart Hanford a local mining engineer and hard rock miner filing many court papers.He was well liked in the Calavaras and Tuolomne counties areas of California.Spent his own money on behalf of all miners,not depending on so called miners organizations.Hope you hit a rich crevice wherever you are.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers up to Keith, his family and friends.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice to hear that Keith had as big of a reputation as Angels Camp has. Some very hardy souls come from those areas. All we can ever hope for is to maybe be remembered in some small way. I'll fire off a round or two and listen for an echo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread