Gold in Smoky Mountains?

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On our trips into the Smoky Mountains we continuously see large rock outcroppings with stripes of quarts veins running thru them. I was reading the history of the Fontana Copper Mine, besides sitting on one of the largest copper deposits on the East Coast. Apparently gold was also mined and kept under wraps by the company. Looking for opinions a techniques. Thanks!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Park itself, forget it, it's against the law. Down near Franklin, NC there is gold in the creeks and a lot of other places in NC.

OP
OP
Flipperfla

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the Park would be off limits, what about the National Forests to the south of Lake Fontana? Thanks!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The vast majority of the lands managed by the Forest Service in the Smoky mountains have privately owned mineral rights only. This is true of all the eastern National Forests. Attempting to prospect for gold on private lands even though they are in the administrative boundaries of a National Forest is a violation of law.

Look over this map of National Forest ownership and you will see that most of the eastern National Forests are not owned by the government but are in fact private lands. The same map shows mineral ownership on those lands that have been purchased from the private owners for inclusion in the forest.

A close inspection may show areas where the surface and minerals are within the jurisdiction of the Forest Service. In those limited areas it's up to the Forest Supervisor whether you can prospect for gold. To my knowledge only a small area of the Uwharrie Forest in North Carolina is open to gold prospecting. You could call around and ask if other Forests permit prospecting.

Heavy Pans

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chilhowee Mts..over to Tellico Plains is open. Just go by the Park Rangers office up past Coker Creek off Tellico River, get a permit and a map

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is gold in the Little Pigeon river in Gatlinburg and in Pigeon Forge. Also gold in the Little river in Townsend. Not from reading about it, but from me panning and sluicing.

OP
OP
Flipperfla

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Been thru there before on the parkway. That will be perfect when we come in or leave Fontana.

OP
OP
Flipperfla

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, looks like the Wife is going to get her pan!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread