Connect the dots to find more gold! (How to find sweet BC gold claims)

TMLonggun

Greenie
Feb 14, 2020
Alberta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone.

My name is TMLonggun and I've been prospecting and learning about mining companies for most of my life. I made this video about how to easily find your own high quality placer claims in BC.

The same methods apply for other areas outside Canada. I found many amazing gold claims using this method including my best claim which I bought for the claim cost ($100). We discovered a very large economic gold deposit almost immediately using the satellite data to narrow down prospecting locations. Our 2nd target hit big and now we can pull out multiple grams per hour with a high banker nearly every time we go. In my opinion it pays huge dividends to armchair prospect and do as much computer research as possible before going into the field. Spending time at this stage saves you a lot of time down the road and can be the difference between finding gold and finding nothing since the quality of a claim is very important to the success of even a small operation.

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure this is good info but there wasn't enough volume in the video for my old ears even wearing head phones. I did scroll forward 10 minutes and there was more volume but I lost the first half of the video.

OP
OP
TMLonggun

TMLonggun

Greenie
Feb 14, 2020
Alberta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am working on improving the audio volume and quality for future videos. Thanks for the feedback! If I have time later I will add some subtitles.

The gist: Every state, province, or major country with a mineral industry has an online system for logging entries. In BC it is MTO. Within these systems are a wealth of information and tools that you can use to examine the current and previous mineral claim landscape. This information forms clear patterns that allow you to visualize where the best economic placer claims are and if you combine this information with previously held claims that have lapsed during periods of lower gold prices, it will clearly show gaps within the existing claim structure that are highly likely to be economic with today's record high gold prices in Canadian dollars (and elsewhere in Australia etc). A prospector can then just fill in the golden dots and claim these cells for ~$2 an acre (~100 a cell) and then easily build value by prospecting.

If you have a $100 claim and then you go out there and find even a speck of gold, you have created some value with your exploration. If you find many ounces on a $100 claim like we have then it's value is clearly many multiples of the original cost to get it, and you are creating a significant sum of wealth. These lapsed cells are perfect for hobby miners that operate in what I consider the sweet spot: low risk, low capital costs, high reward. In the example in my first post, I found an area with 100% of a major gold bearing river claimed up and downstream (zero gaps for a hundred kilometers+). Then I found a spot with a 90 degree bend in the river, right out of a prospecting magazine just sitting there. All of the land both up and downstream is actively worked and highly valued, so this gap stuck out like a sore thumb... A golden one. So I claimed it for the claim cost. Then we went there and there is so much gold laying at the surface it is just shocking that someone let this lapse.

Which brings me to my major confusion: despite record high gold prices and low fuel costs in CAD, there are awesome claims all over the place available for the claim cost, including on famous gold rush rivers and creeks. Interest appears to be far lower now than when gold was much lower... I don't think this will last forever.

Why doesn't anyone want all these awesome claims? I think the main reason is not lack of interest but lack of information.

This is also why I get annoyed at claim jumpers. It's so easy and cheap to get your own that claim jumping is very lazy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread