Smelt or refining question.

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have the equipment to do what I want here. But I have kind of an unusual thing I want to do. I want to take a couple of sentimental things that I have and melt them down so that I can give it to the jeweler to make a small ring. What I have is a 1891 dime and a 1898 penny I found metal detecting a while ago. At a special site. Also a bunch of fine placer gold that I have accumulated. I want to take the Dime and the penny and the proper amount of gold the jeweler needs to make a small wedding type ring. I want to melt it myself first before I give it to him. So my question is what is the best cupel to use. Will it be a graphite or possibly a bone ash style and probably the proper flux I should use. I’m not so worried about getting it pure I actually wanted to be all mixed together and then formed into something. It will probably be something that’s not really worn but only on a chain. So hardness or whatever doesn’t matter. I want it to only be these materials And the jewelry is OK with that. So maybe the question isn’t as easy as I think but I want to make sure I start with the right equipment and materials. Thanks

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you want a crucible not a cupel. A cupel is a special use item for removing lead from an assay sample.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some good videos on you tube showing alloying of gold. I’m early in the process of making my own ring from placer gold I found. 3d modeling..3d printing...casting...polish and buff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread