Ever find white, flatted, heavy material?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it malleable? Might be lead? A pic might help.

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, material is malleable. Have been attempting to get a good pic. Attached is the best I could manage. Sample is white thing in center of pic. If looks like lead should in a pan, then you are probably correct. Not too many things that heavy.

127A1F9F-6BD3-4F47-89AC-C5426AA2DC5F.jpeg

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see the pic well enough but just a guess Merc covered gold? The big one in the middle looks like a spent bullet

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't see the pic well enough but just a guess Merc covered gold? The big one in the middle looks like a spent bullet

I probably should have provided something to show scale. Piece is about 1/8 in along long axis. Also, I have pieces of many different shapes. Most have a flattened shape. So, not likely to be bullet. However, if lead, then made of same material, I think.

Would be great if gold in there somewhere.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's natural lead.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I probably should have provided something to show scale. Piece is about 1/8 in along long axis. Also, I have pieces of many different shapes. Most have a flattened shape. So, not likely to be bullet. However, if lead, then made of same material, I think.

Would be great if gold in there somewhere.

Buckshot

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Fragment maybe, my first thought was spattered bird shot. A lot of bullets don't look like bullets after they get shot at rocks, bits of squished sheared lead with sometimes some bits of the copper jacket hanging on. I used to dredge a creek in the southern mother load country that was so full of lead it boggled the mind, bullets shot sinkers fragments you name it, at times you would shut down and the sluice would be fuzzy from all the bits of fishing line poking up off all the lost tackle. Where I'm at now its too far up in there I don't find much lead.

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the places where I prospect has as much Platinum as gold . The Platinum is silvery in color though, not white, and its malleable . It pans out just like gold ( and lead). When its whiteish ….its usually oxidized lead. Scrape through the oxidation and you will probably find shiny lead.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the places where I prospect has as much Platinum as gold . The Platinum is silvery in color though, not white, and its malleable . It pans out just like gold ( and lead). When its whiteish ….its usually oxidized lead. Scrape through the oxidation and you will probably find shiny lead.

How have you confirmed that it’s Pt? Platinum is very hard, not malleable. Drop it in hydrogen peroxide and it’ll continually release oxygen bubbles via a catalytic reaction. Super easy metal to test. Did you do that?

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How have you confirmed that it’s Pt? Platinum is very hard, not malleable. Drop it in hydrogen peroxide and it’ll continually release oxygen bubbles via a catalytic reaction. Super easy metal to test. Did you do that?

He's probably from Trinity county Ca.
It's a known Pt area. If I remember correctly it has a town named for it platina.
No need to test ....
Gt ....

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well … its not as malleable as gold but it does not "crunch " like crystiline type of junk . And …. more importantly …. when I first started finding it … I brought it down to the Prospecting shop here in near-by Weaverville ( which has since closed because of Kalifornia restrictions ) The old time guy there tested it ….when he came from his back room he asked me …. WHERE DID you find this ??!! I told him it was in a creek in a general area /…….. He asked " Soldier Creek ?? " I said No ….. He said " there are no other creeks in that specific area " …… then I mentioned the Gulch ( that I own ) ….. and he said ….." Oh yea , I forgot about that drainage " : ) So anyhow , I am not sure how he tested it but he , as an old time prospector and mining shop owner said it was Pt. I have a vial of it . I guess I should post some pictures of it . Again …. its not as malleable as gold or lead for sure . It does not crunch up though …. AND ….. from research it was said in 1918, in The California State Mining Bureau , Bulletin No. 85 That " The discovery of platinum in veins of serpentine at the Mouth of *** Gulch …. near Soldier Cr. ……………..color was lent to such reports by the fact that the largest nuggets of platinum ever found in California are on the bench gravels of ***** **** which came from this immediate location . " It happens that I unknowingly bought this very location in 2001 . So that is all the information that I have about this silvery stuff ; ) It seems pretty valid . The book that this info came from was The same Bureau's publication titled " Platinum and Allied Metals in California " circa 1918. Specifically "Trinity County" . If you take a couple of minutes on google , you will find it .
If you come with shovels …. I will see you and not be happy …... Acute Lead Poisoning is a bad way to leave this world ; )

I need to do the peroxide test ! I have some and it would be fun …. but I have meat on the BBQ now …...

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well … its not as malleable as gold but it does not "crunch " like crystiline type of junk . And …. more importantly …. when I first started finding it … I brought it down to the Prospecting shop here in near-by Weaverville ( which has since closed because of Kalifornia restrictions ) The old time guy there tested it ….when he came from his back room he asked me …. WHERE DID you find this ??!! I told him it was in a creek in a general area /…….. He asked " Soldier Creek ?? " I said No ….. He said " there are no other creeks in that specific area " …… then I mentioned the Gulch ( that I own ) ….. and he said ….." Oh yea , I forgot about that drainage " : ) So anyhow , I am not sure how he tested it but he , as an old time prospector and mining shop owner said it was Pt. I have a vial of it . I guess I should post some pictures of it . Again …. its not as malleable as gold or lead for sure . It does not crunch up though …. like some crystiline junk . AND ….. from research it was said in 1918 in The California State Mining Bureau , Bulletin No. 85 That Quote " The discovery of platinum in veins of serpentine at the Mouth of *** Gulch …. near Soldier Cr. ……………..color was lent to such reports by the fact that the largest nuggets of platinum ever found in California are on the bench gravels of ***** **** which came from this immediate location . " It happens that I unknowingly bought this very location in 2001 . So that is all the information that I have about this silvery stuff ; ) It seems pretty valid . The book that this info came from was The same Bureau's publication titled " Platinum and Allied Metals in California " circa 1918. Specifically " Trinity County . If you take a couple of minutes on google , you will find it .
If you come with shovels …. I will see you and not be happy …... Acute Lead Poisoning is a bad way to leave this world ; )

I need to do the peroxide test ! I have some and it would be fun …. but I have meat on the BBQ now …...

Wow, wow, lucky you!!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
He's probably from Trinity county Ca.
It's a known Pt area. If I remember correctly it has a town named for it platina.
No need to test ....
Gt ....

I believe Platina is in Shasta county. It is outside of the main gold producing area, other than the Midas mine in Harrison gulch. Beegum creek has both gold and platinum, but a dredge is the only way to get to the pay dirt. as for the unknown white metal, scratch it. if the white is a crust, its lead

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not pick up a lead test kit from a big box store, when allowed out and about? (Painting section I believe.)

That's what I do for testing crusty white malleable metal I find locally.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not pick up a lead test kit from a big box store, when allowed out and about? (Painting section I believe.)

That's what I do for testing crusty white malleable metal I find locally.

Or try melting it with a propane torch. Lead will melt, platinum sure won’t. Quick easy test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions