A better way to get a claim... maybe

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been looking for a means to winnow the wheat from the chaff for quite some time now. First of all, I'm an avid user of the Mineral Resource Data System (MRDS), but I still had no clue as to whether or not it was an active or closed/abandoned claim. I knew where the mines were, but not the mineral right status or the boundaries were. I use Google Earth Pro with the KML file overlays to show me the where and what they produced. Great! So, I went to the finder of truth and fact... Google. Did a search and came up with a site called Gold Maps Online. I originally thought that this was some huckster trying to sell old gold maps... not so. I ended buying Arizona and Nevada overlays for Google Earth Pro. For thirty bucks, not a big deal.

I loaded Google Earth and my KMZ overlay files for AZ and their Closed and Active claim overlays. It shows every claim in the state with the most important bit of data... open/active or closed/abandoned with visual borders of each of the claims. Why buy a claim from a "trusted" claim sell with a well thought out name, when you go straight to the source and by it wholesale from the BLM for pocket change. I personally would go to the closed claim, sample the hell out of the ground... see what settles in the pan or gets out by your metal detector. If it turns out worthless, walk away with well exercised muscles without loosing a penny on the deal.

Mind you, I am not endorsing https://www.goldmapsonline.com/ in any manner whatsoever. Use your own judgement, not my experience.

As a side note - My heart goes out to the victims, families and relatives of this tragic pandemic that is been set upon us all. Please be safe, stay at home. Put up a sign that reads "WE SHOOT EVERY TENTH VISITOR, THE NINTH ONE JUST LEFT!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread