Pulley sizes for a DIY Hookah .

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am planning on putting together an electric driven Hookah breathing air system . I have a Standard T-80 compressor off of a Keene 4" .
I have a 1-1/2 H.P. electric motor that I want to couple it to .

The the engine on the Keene 4" ran at a rated 3600 RPMS

The Electric motor that I have runs at 1750 RPMs.
The T-80 has a recommended RPM of 1800.

If I use the standard 6" pulley on the compressor, what size would I have to use on the electric motor ?

I know that it will have to be larger than the one that is used on the old dredge gas motor. I am just not sure how to calculate this.

I KNOW that there are some Fart Smellers ....... I mean, Smart Fellers here so that is why I am asking ; )

Wiggler

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wiggler

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am planning on putting together an electric driven Hookah breathing air system . I have a Standard T-80 compressor off of a Keene 4" .
I have a 1-1/2 H.P. electric motor that I want to couple it to .

The the engine on the Keene 4" ran at a rated 3600 RPMS

The Electric motor that I have runs at 1750 RPMs.
The T-80 has a recommended RPM of 1800.

If I use the standard 6" pulley on the compressor, what size would I have to use on the electric motor ?

I know that it will have to be larger than the one that is used on the old dredge gas motor. I am just not sure how to calculate this.

I KNOW that there are some Fart Smellers ....... I mean, Smart Fellers here so that is why I am asking ; )

Wiggler

After just a LITTLE BIT of chin scratching......I may have answered my own question . I realized that the motor has 1750 rpm........the T80 wants 1800 . ..... so a one to one ratio pulley system ( 6" on both ) should work fine. Guess Im a fart smeller too ??

So I guess what I'm sayin' …… I was just being silly and not thinking very hard ; )

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but 6" pulleys might be to big and you don't need them on a 1 to 1 ratio. Go 3" or 4" pulleys max. Check your clearances then choose. You could go with twin 2" also but it can be harder to unleash the belt... With a 4" you have enough room to slide a flat screw driver in and roll the belt on & off easily.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredge motors have a max RPM of about 3600 but you rarely run them at full throttle, usually half or less. You can run a 6" pulley on the motor and the T-80 will run near max capacity all the time causing it to run hotter and wear out sooner. You could put an adjustable sheave pulley on the electric motor and adjust the final RPM of the pump as needed but I dont think I would worry too much about it

OP
OP
Wiggler

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredge motors have a max RPM of about 3600 but you rarely run them at full throttle, usually half or less. You can run a 6" pulley on the motor and the T-80 will run near max capacity all the time causing it to run hotter and wear out sooner. You could put an adjustable sheave pulley on the electric motor and adjust the final RPM of the pump as needed but I dont think I would worry too much about it

Good point . Using the pulley calculator , I think I will choose to run a 4 inch motor pulley . This will give me an 1150 RPM compressor RPM . NOT running max rpm makes good sense .

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point . Using the pulley calculator , I think I will choose to run a 4 inch motor pulley . This will give me an 1150 RPM compressor RPM . NOT running max rpm makes good sense .

I've always had to run my T80's maxed out to get enough air, so go prepared...

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1750 (motor speed) divided by 1800 (T80 speed) equals 0.972. Multiply motor pulley size by 0.972 for the T80 pulley size. Now remember this is at the pitch diameter of the pulley.

So a 4" pulley times 0.972 equals 3.888 inches on the compressor pulley. 3.875 would be close enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread