Thyme oil
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Underburden
  • 1 Post By Bonaro
  • 1 Post By russau
  • 4 Post By Bonaro

Thread: Thyme oil

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2015
    41 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Thyme oil

I've heard that oil will mess up panning even oil from your hands. What about hand sanitizer? Got some jugs that held sanitizer have I ruined my panning tub?

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    1050 times
    Prospecting
    You are the only source for the answer unless you want someone else to volunteer.
    russau likes this.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6530 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by seafox View Post
    I've heard that oil will mess up panning even oil from your hands. What about hand sanitizer? Got some jugs that held sanitizer have I ruined my panning tub?
    What's the connection between the sanitizer and your panning tub?
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1929 times
    Prospecting
    I am presuming you are asking if using hand sanitizer will impart a oil into your panning process.
    Hand sanitizer is a mix of alcohol and either glycerin or Aloe. The alcohol is probably helpful but the others may be a problem. I would avoid using sanitizer when panning but its probably not a real issue. Just use dish soap to clean up your equipment and any oils should be removed
    russau likes this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4665 times
    Add a suffactant to your panning tub water to make everything drop out of suspension .
    Underburden likes this.

Dec 2015
    41 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thank you I got some Cube containers that it held hand sanitizer made from a thymol oil from a friend and use the water in my tanning tub without thinking and then thought oh wait I've heard oil messes up panting thank you I will add dish soap and a surfactant and hope hope it's okay thank you again

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1929 times
    Prospecting
    Oil will readily coat gold. This is the mechanics of a flotation process because the oil will make the extremely fine gold (<200 mesh) float. If you have oil in your process you may lose some very fine gold because it will simply float out in the wash.
    Keep in mind that one small flake is equal to thousands of specks and also it is impossible to catch it all, there will always be losses.
    In my experience I have found that increased production volume at the expense of losing a little fines will give you far more gold in your vial at the end of the day.
    Dont worry about it...shovel on

Sponsored Links