Keyesville

medusa

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody have any knowledge of the Keyesville recreational mining area by Lake Isabella? Wondering how the prospecting is there and other areas within the Kernville area. I know its all claimed up on the river and see that there is a local club, but haven't been able to find much info on the gold itself...I did see some you tube videos mostly in a park near Bakersfield, but can't find much info other than that. Looking to drywash or sluice, or panning if that's all that's allowed. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think gpaa had i drywashing claim there.the public area is about a mile long and easy to get to.i think it depends on deep and fast the river is running.there are some of my old posts on there under kern river.the park at the bottom is hart park,check out there web site.
good luck that river is a killer be safe.
brad

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Keyesville is closed with a locked gate and has been for since the Covid -19 lock down. Drove my motorcycle by today 6/13/20
and the gate was still locked with signs saying closed. Its on BLM managed land -- I think you can walk in just no vehicles.
GPAA let the gold buddies claim go and it has a new claimant.
Cheers Mike

OP
OP
M

medusa

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably won't be going there until next year, so hoping things are more normal by then. But trying to find prospecting regulations for California is like trying to find aliens in area 51!
The whole Kern River area looks like a really cool area to explore, for fishing, hiking and of course gold! Easy to find fishing regulations....gold not so much.
Thanks for replies!

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to live just upriver from Kernville...… I have seen some ok reports of digging and sluiceing where the kern river dumps into Lake Isabella from locals . Its right near the location of Old WhiskeyFlat township exsists . Be prepared for fine gold . That is all that I know . I grew up there . I think its open ground …. not claimed ….. public …... but do your due diligence. I dont want to get anyone in trouble : ) Brett

If you want some good hiking and potential prospecting spots ….let me know . I used to run those hills ; ) I used to rummage some old miner cabin dump sites there ….. mostly in the area around Camp Owns and Yellow Jacket mountain which is near "Riverkern " which is where my mom still lives . . .

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

medusa

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
We're always mindful of where we are...gotta respect everyone else's territory! We usually stick to club claims, but looks like there's some room for exploration out there. Using my land matters to see what's claimed. But even so, things can change quickly.
Hope we get to go check it out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread