Washington states new gold mining laws ? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Washington states new gold mining laws ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    39637 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm offended the Chinese Unleashed this Virus attack !
    I'm offended by being forced to wear Masks at certain times .

But I see nothing to warn or delete over
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jul 14, 2020 at 02:31 PM.

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike.
    229 times
    Prospecting
    Interactive map of over regulation link only.

https://waecy.maps.arcgis.com/apps/V...b795de2d7d1615

Some Effects of Suction Dredge Placer Mining on the Short-term Survival of Freshwater Mussels in Washington

Category: Fish/Shellfish Research
    Published: 2007
    Pages: 10
    Author(s): Kirk Krueger, Patrick Chapman, Molly Hallock, and Timothy Quinn
    Northwest Science, Vol. 81, No. 4, 2007

Abstract

Suction dredge placer mining is an increasingly frequent activity that may affect the survival of mussels, however, the effect of suction dredge mining on freshwater mussels has received little attention. We quantified the effects of being entrained, exposed, and/or buried by suction dredge placer mining on the short-term survival of western ridged mussels (Gonidea angulata, Lea) and western pearlshell mussels (Margaritifera falcata, Gould) in the Similkameen River, Washington. The primary experimental treatments were entrainment by a suction dredge versus non-entrainment. The secondary experimental treatments were exposure and burial. No obvious physical damage to mussels was observed due to entrainment by the suction dredge and entrainment had no effect on the survival of mussels. All exposed mussels survived the 6-week experiment. However, burial by dredge tailings resulted in the death of a substantial percentage of mussels of each species and no mussels were able to excavate from experimental dredge tailings. Our results have significant conservation implications and emphasize the need for additional research.

What in the hell happens when the spring floods or any other excessive rainfall occurs and buries the great tasting mussels. Can Washington state ban mother nature from providing too much rain?

Enjoy the Californication by the state of Washington.
    Last edited by ncclaymaker; Jul 15, 2020 at 02:16 PM.
    Clay Diggins, T.C. and russau like this.
    The view is always better with 500 feet of air under your buttocks.

us
    Jul 2015
    Carnation, WA
    14 times
    Prospecting
    Just curious, I'm new to WA state and I'm trying to understand all these new laws and such - hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I had regarding highbanking. It seems like the majority of the new rules are intended mainly for suction dredging and not as much for high-banking, especially if using smaller "mini" high-bankers - am I reading into that correctly? They specifically call out mini versions with less than 3 square feet of riffles and say that these are considered "hand-held" prospecting tools that you can use year round without restrictions. Immediately after that they say "If you use motorized types of the mineral prospecting equipment listed in the previous provision, you may do so ONLY in certain waters." This sentence is really confusing to me because A.) I don't know of any high-bankers that are themselves "motorized." The only motorized component would be the water pump you use, so is the pump considered part of the highbanker and therefore makes it a motorized version? What would a non-motorized version look like then? Why do they make the distinction between mini and regular highbankers if they are then going to just lump them all into "motorized" versions etc.

In the next sentence they "When using motorized mineral prospecting equipment, all process water must be completely contained within your equipment and you may NOT discharge any water to surface or ground waters of the state." Are they saying you can't discharge the water back into the river OR anywhere on the "ground"? Or does it mean you just can't discharge it in a way that would drain into the "Ground Water" supply? Doesn't everything drain back into the ground water? If you can't discharge water, does this mean you would have to bring a settling tank with you or something?

I guess what I really want to know is whether I should go ahead with my plan to get a "mini" highbanker to do a little weekend prospecting here and there with my kids. I've heard the gold around here is so small and fine you really need to have a highbanker to make it worth your time. I have a small bazooka gold trap but I can't really put enough material through it to make it worth taking out for a half-day here and there. If I go out with a highbanker in Eastern King County what are the chances I'm going to get harassed or get a ticket etc? If I were to go out with an electric pump instead of gas would that circumvent the "motorized" definition? Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated!

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    For now motorized pumps in the river, gas or electric are not allowed, however you can run a closed system. What that means is you can run a mini electric high-banker but your discharge must go into a tub witch also contains the water for your pump. Same type of system I use for beach mining. Just curious, what rivers are you thinking about mining, I've mined them all that has gold.

us
    Jul 2015
    Carnation, WA
    14 times
    Prospecting
    Well, I live like 5 mins from a part of the Tolt river that has some historical placer mining - was thinking of giving that a go but seems like a lot of the land along the river is owned by Snoqualmie Timber. Otherwise thought I might head up to North Fork of the Snoqualmie (southeast of the reservoir) a go. Any better suggestions maybe? Thanks!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11290 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    For now motorized pumps in the river, gas or electric are not allowed, however you can run a closed system.
    How are the farmers pumping irrigation water? Seems Washington is going to starve and go broke without farming.
    Goldwasher, russau and Bonaro like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
    2725 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncclaymaker View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mad Machinist tested positive for Covid-19. Not wearing a mask... the mark of an irresponsible diseased mind! What he's really saying is that he doesn't care if he kills someone close to him or in the general public. I for one, did not serve and survive Vietnam, so that I could possibly be intentionally murdered or infected by some irresponsible individual wanting to walk among us like nothing has happened. Mad Machinist has an attitude that deserves the self inflicted Darwin Award for those that shun wearing a mask in public. Want to be anywhere in his vicinity... HELL NO!!!!
    Paranoia will destroy ya. Do you use regular or heavy-duty tin foil when crafting your headgear?
    Watch for Motorcycles

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12757 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Freshwater mussels really?

they live in mud and silt probably not in the waterways where the gold bearing gravels are.
    wildminer and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardent View Post
    Well, I live like 5 mins from a part of the Tolt river that has some historical placer mining - was thinking of giving that a go but seems like a lot of the land along the river is owned by Snoqualmie Timber. Otherwise thought I might head up to North Fork of the Snoqualmie (southeast of the reservoir) a go. Any better suggestions maybe? Thanks!
    I have mined the Tolt many times but no more, after 1995 historic flood there was nice gold everywhere but because the river has a dam on it for Seattle's watershed the river is controlled and in consequence the river has become clogged up with cobble. This area is a glacial moraine although the gold came from the mountains that doesn't happen anymore because of that dam. There is gold there and a lot more than the N.F. Snoquamie also I will add that to get to the Tolt is a huge problem with so much private land and the Snoqualmie timber co.. One method I learned mining the south fork of the Nooksack witch also has cobble like the Tolt is as you dig down threw the coble in the gravel bar look for a layer of leaves and mud that is a flood deposit and where you will find gold, below that layer you will not find any gold until you hit another flood deposit. Just to let you know how much that river has changed since 1995 flood, I went up to place where I found a 1/2inch square nugget on the Tolt, there was this tree above the bank, back then it was an 8ft. climb to get up to it but now it was 3ft., Good Luck and the Tolt is a good river to learn how to mine.
    Clay Diggins and DizzyDigger like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    How are the farmers pumping irrigation water? Seems Washington is going to starve and go broke without farming.
    Clay you should know this, anything pertaining to "Gold Mining the prices goes up or the restrictions go up" LOL
    Clay Diggins and delnorter like this.

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    1094 times
    The Klamath River here in Northern California has an extensive fresh water muscle resource and lots of gold.

Mike

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12757 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorter View Post
    The Klamath River here in Northern California has an extensive fresh water muscle resource and lots of gold.

Mike
    Not saying they don't exist. In fact i know some are invasive.

Just noting how it goes from fish to frog to mussel and so on.

Those animals exist in part of a waterway and they shut down the whole drainage. It's dumb and annoying.
    russau likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Carnation, WA
    14 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    I have mined the Tolt many times but no more, after 1995 historic flood there was nice gold everywhere but because the river has a dam on it for Seattle's watershed the river is controlled and in consequence the river has become clogged up with cobble.
    What about north of the Reservoir? How far down through the cobble would you have to go to get anything you think?

Anywhere else in the general area you would recommend? What about the feeder creeks above the Skykomish?

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardent View Post
    What about north of the Reservoir? How far down through the cobble would you have to go to get anything you think?

Anywhere else in the general area you would recommend? What about the feeder creeks above the Skykomish?
    As for your first question, you can't go onto that land, it's watershed and protected. All gold in that area comes from lode mines east on the reservoirs and is only deposited in the south fork of the tolt river, the main lode mine is the Damian and Pithious mine, I have been there and met the owner, it is an interesting place to be, you can see the river there turn into to streams, one the south fork of tolt and the other is Money creek and both have gold. Now for your second question, basically the main source of gold the area I suggested comes from Silver creek on the North Fork of the Skykomish, many lode mines there and I have explored all of them, it was awesome. Not many places to mine the N.F.S because many places are claimed. There is book you should get " Washington State Gold Mines by Ray F. Mayo" Good Luck
    DizzyDigger and Hardent like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links