Anyone using Lithium batteries for their pumps?

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking of getting rid of my lead batteries for lighter lithium to power my high banker or power sluice pumps and wondering who else is using these and what their experience is? It seems like the lithium batteries have improved the past few years and have also come down in price enough to consider, especially due to the weight savings. From what I've read they can be discharged lower than lead batteries while still keeping good power to the pump. Curious to hear real life stories.

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I love them. I'm going to pick one of these large one's up, I have the smallest now and it works fine with my 100watt solar panel... if there's sun. Or I can put it on it's charger.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JV8X181/ref=twister_B07N29CC77?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted it in this ammo box and put in the switches. The bigger one will fit in the larger ammo box. I bought this one as a test 3 years ago and it works fine with the charger or solar, but it just runs a few hours alone... but it was $200 when I bought it. More then the biggest one now... but I run it and it runs well.
Get the big one, you'll be happy :)
Get the largest charger for it, not the trickle charger because it's a waste. I'm going to put a lot of info on my set up on my journal in the next couple of days. I plan on running twin 2200gph Johnsons on my Gold Fox trommel and I will run the trommel motor with the small battery if needed.

received_235794361041689.jpeg

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be worried about draining the battery to low, does that type of lithium battery have a low voltage cut off built in to it? if not you will damage the battery every time it goes below voltage... If this is news to you might wanna read up on lithium batteries....:icon_thumright:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be worried about draining the battery to low, does that type of lithium battery have a low voltage cut off built in to it? if not you will damage the battery every time it goes below voltage... If this is news to you might wanna read up on lithium batteries....:icon_thumright:

This must be why my cordless drill just stops at a certain point with no apparent slowdown.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery I listed is a "Smart Battery" and can't be overcharged or fully discharged. It's one of the first things listed... A battery with a computer built in. I've ran mine down until everything stopped once or twice when I had a fault on my charger.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The battery I listed is a "Smart Battery" and can't be overcharged or fully discharged. It's one of the first things listed... A battery with a computer built in. I've ran mine down until everything stopped once or twice when I had a fault on my charger.

These are the type I've been looking at.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I have a smaller one to run my puffer, which I’ve also used with my gold cube on occasion. It’s pretty amazing when you don’t have to lug a big heavy lead acid battery into a site!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've switched to AGM, though lithium would be better in the weight department. A 35 Ah AGM will drop after a 36 bucket run on my Model 5 (3x 800 gph), but be ready in time for another run with 100W of solar input.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the one I use.
https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-12v-20ah-amp-hour-23ah-lifepo4-battery/

It runs my gold cube (1500 and 1100 gph pumps and my trommel) with no problems all day. I love it! Did I mention it only weighs just over 6 lbs and has an 11 year warranty and can be charged by solar.

The price may turn some off but IMO LiFePo4 batteries are the only way to go for efficiency as they run at full power until they run out of power....pumps etc. Do not gradually slow down they go and go until battery runs out and then they just stop. Light and compact so highly portable. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good input, thank you! In a quandry now. New Washington rules ban "motorized" mining, which is why I'm looking at the Lithium batteries for my high banker. New law says no "motorized". New fish and gold pamphlet says electric pumps ok. Now getting emails from Fisheries people saying that they interpret the new law as battery pumps are motorized. It seems like the state of Washington has had a team of monkeys get together to write the laws, and non of the monkeys talked to each other before sending it all out.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good input, thank you! In a quandry now. New Washington rules ban "motorized" mining, which is why I'm looking at the Lithium batteries for my high banker. New law says no "motorized". New fish and gold pamphlet says electric pumps ok. Now getting emails from Fisheries people saying that they interpret the new law as battery pumps are motorized. It seems like the state of Washington has had a team of monkeys get together to write the laws, and non of the monkeys talked to each other before sending it all out.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to input on lithium batteries. Pretty much all commercial lith ion batteries have circuits built into them to prevent overcharge and over draining which lends to the possibility they will catch fire or become damaged. For charging you want a charger thats designed for the battery your charging as they have the control circuits as well to prevent to fast of a charge and overcharge (the batteries own circuitry can be problematic sometimes), which can damage the battery.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
So glad to see this post. I've been using Battery Tender's LiFePO4 24ah for over 10 years (on my 2nd one) ever since I did some damage to my hip and leg from carry a lead acid motorcycle battery in my backpack when climbing up out of the East Fork San Gabriel. The weight shifted to solely my right side as I climbed and took years to heal. So to question how much does the battery costs begs the question, how much is your body worth to you?

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Auto salvage yards are a great source of lithium batteries from wrecked cars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread