NPDES
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By et1955
  • 3 Post By mike(swWash)
  • 1 Post By OwenT
  • 1 Post By mike(swWash)

Thread: NPDES

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1014 times
    Prospecting

NPDES

Does the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System really apply to placer mining on a river. All the mining I have done here in Washington State has been done with no pollutants, all discharge into the river is from the river and banks and that is natural not a pollutant. It is legal to use a sluice and pan here in Wash. ST. but cannot use my electric high-banker now, where is there logic. It would wiser for WDFW to apply this to fisher man that use lead weights and also to go after all the towns and cities that pollute Washington state waters, but we few miners are there scape goats, sad.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1325 times
    Prospecting
    I am trying to believe that the new rules are so out of line with science and truth that they will be modified to a more common sense ruling....Oh wait, it's the government just following the more extreme and money donating environmental and sport fishing PAC lobbyists requests for fear of more expensive litigation

Ever see the damage to the river bottom a jet boat does going thru shallow water, you can follow the trails of disturbed gravel easily
    Gold4Mike, et1955 and russau like this.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    678 times
    Prospecting
    I believe the requirement of an NPDES permit per the Clean Water Act has been one of the major tools that California (then OR and WA) has been using as a roadblock to miners and has been a main point of debate (although there really is no question it's absurd) for some time. Hopefully, someone who knows more will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the supreme court of Oregon recently ruled that a suction dredge is considered to discharge a pollutant and therefore require the permit. Very bad.
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1325 times
    Prospecting
    In 3 years I'm outta this state
    Won't be able to afford the taxes, the fishing/hunting lisc., the lack of fish to catch due to under management , the huge logging road access permit fees, some of the highest gas taxes in the country and don't get me started on the sin tax for smokes and alcohol. Now about all I can do is retire my pumps, dredge and high banker and just use a pan or small sluice until the time comes to move to a little bit more sane place
    et1955 likes this.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

Sponsored Links