Kernville gold prospecting

Sep 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'll try to make this to the point.

I have a long time friend who owns a sizeable amount of acreage about 30 miles from Kernville.

He's told me stories about in the 90's and early 20's he had an old timer prospecting his land pulling out his words, upwards of pea sized nuggets from his land.

He says the kern river(?) Or another flows thru his property, sometimes swelling enough where big appliances float down the river.

He's offered to tell me the property location and says live there camp, and prospect to my hearts intent.

He lives in Florida and says he goes up there once a year.

So is it potentially worth a trip? Even if he was exaggerating some about "peasized" nuggets.

Also, I'm assuming since the water flow is on private property there is no claims to be concerned about?

He also stated the river dries up occasionally to a 10 odd foot couple feet deep stream. But with the run off becomes a raging river.

I'm not at all upto date with California's draconian mining laws. But is a sluice set up with a small dredge permissible? Or do I need to get an unobtainable permit?

Any other information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! I'm in alaska fishing for the summer. And with gold going up, up, and hopefully UP, im seriously considering his offer.

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
there is alot of gold in the area.find out all you can about where his property is.you dont have to tell us.ask for gps and if is above or below the dam.the kern runs pretty hard all year,it a killer.if its one of the side rivers it would be easier to work.good luck
brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread