Gold is at 1808 plus per troy ounce - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Gold is at 1808 plus per troy ounce

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Well I found your original unnecessary comment insulting.. but you crotchety rude old guys never see how you come off. Only point the finger...its ok to be rude but when someone says something back to you your insulted.

Just listen to your self..."if you know what your doing" experience is key" 40 years of mining" ...you come off like gods gift to gold mining..you come off like an arrogant ass.. you decided to quote my comment first and trash it. Maybe in all your vast experience you might learn that respect is earned by giving it to others first. I don't owe some old clown on the internet anything.. watch what you say first and maybe, just maybe you won't get "insulted" in return
    Best wishes MTS, sorry you are having a bad time , hope things get better for you.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    2034 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    But how many shovels did you break?
    \

Dude, it happens!
    russau likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Shovels are not prybars, will not happen if you have the right tools and a 17lb. 6 ft. prybar is a must for mining.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Shovels are not prybars, will not happen if you have the right tools and a 17lb. 6 ft. prybar is a must for mining.
    Unless they are 10 years old, I’d give most people the benefit of the doubt they know how to abuse a shovel and how not to.

Shovels do break...I’ve got piles of them I’ve found metal detecting as testimony to that fact. However a quality shovel built for the type of digging your doing will last much longer. Hardly something I’d factor into the cost of mining. I feel I should have a shovel in my truck anyway. Eventually the handle will break. I got 12 years out of my last shovel, but it took 2 handles to stretch it that far. The first one lasted 10 years but got ran over with heavy equipment. The replacement handle weathered and split after two years.
    I bought a replacement shovel at Ace Hardware and the top of the shovel where you place your foot broke off before I could wear the paint off it.

Just last week I watched a guy break the handle on a brand new shovel. Just planted his foot on it and lifted the dirt. Split it right up the middle. Junk ash handle.

The Razor-back closed back shovel with ash handle is decent, but I’m leaning towards buying a forged shovel. Just not sure the trade off in strength vs. weight is worth it.

I never knew there were so many different purpose built shovels. Example:moving dirt vs. digging dirt. Soft soil vs rocky ground...
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Mar 31, 2021 at 12:06 AM.
    et1955 and russau like this.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    Tell you what...in 1850 breaking a shovel sure ate into your gold mining profits.
    $25 each when gold was $19/oz.

Those shovels were built pretty light. Just made to move loose material. Useless without a pick (another $25 and very prone to breaking). That not only reduced profit but it halted all work till you could find a place to buy a replacement.

Neat to ponder when that large signal turns out to be a worn shovel or broken pick head.
    mytimetoshine and russau like this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    2034 times
    Prospecting
    The point I was making was that when you are mining, gear breaks. You can't avoid this due to the rough nature of the work
    It may be a shovel, a split hose, broken fan belt, burned up winch or a flat tire. All these things cost money and are common when you are prospecting.
    You have to consider that in your bottom line calculations of whether this was worth it or not...unless you are digging for adventure first and gold second.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    I get what your saying, but factoring in the cost of a shovel, fan belt, or your lunch when contemplating mining is just plain silly talk IMHO. Nobody does that.

You will know it if your wasting your time....”counting colors” in a test pan isn’t going to help you, nor will fretting about the cost of a shovel.

There are some things I just don’t want to know.
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Mar 31, 2021 at 10:02 AM.
    mytimetoshine and wildminer like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesorodeoro View Post
    Unless they are 10 years old, Iíd give most people the benefit of the doubt they know how to abuse a shovel and how not to.

Shovels do break...Iíve got piles of them Iíve found metal detecting as testimony to that fact. However a quality shovel built for the type of digging your doing will last much longer. Hardly something Iíd factor into the cost of mining. I feel I should have a shovel in my truck anyway. Eventually the handle will break. I got 12 years out of my last shovel, but it took 2 handles to stretch it that far. The first one lasted 10 years but got ran over with heavy equipment. The replacement handle weathered and split after two years.
    I bought a replacement shovel at Ace Hardware and the top of the shovel where you place your foot broke off before I could wear the paint off it.

Just last week I watched a guy break the handle on a brand new shovel. Just planted his foot on it and lifted the dirt. Split it right up the middle. Junk ash handle.

The Razor-back closed back shovel with ash handle is decent, but Iím leaning towards buying a forged shovel. Just not sure the trade off in strength vs. weight is worth it.

I never knew there were so many different purpose built shovels. Example:moving dirt vs. digging dirt. Soft soil vs rocky ground...
    I only broke 3 shovels getting about 2lbs. of gold on the the Sultan river, that was because I used the shovel to move 4ft. boulders instead of my prybar. The shovels are now part of mining history. Typical hole on the SultanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	381.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	1914746

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    I’d say that is rocky ground.

Locked up tight!
    russau and Duckshot like this.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36į60'
    9074 times
    Ya'll use shovels?

I use a D- handle spade.

I guess a shovel would work, but it might be some hard work depending on the terrain.
    et1955 likes this.
    "Do Not do to others that which you would Not have them do to you"

Choose your heroes carefully.

In God We Trust.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    Ya'll use shovels?

I use a D- handle spade.

I guess a shovel would work, but it might be some hard work depending on the terrain.
    NO , not when I have son's that want to learn about prospecting !

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    Ya'll use shovels?

I use a D- handle spade.

I suppose it makes a difference if you are filling a pan, bucket, wheelbarrow, or into a high banker or trommel. Digging dirt or shoveling loose gravel.

How tall you are makes a difference too. If I have to bend over too much, my back goes out.
    D-handled shovels are hard on my back.

That’s kind of what I was getting at with all the purpose built shovels.

Check out this article at Red Pig Tools.
    https://www.redpigtools.com/The-Right-Shovel_b_2.html

This is an interesting tool. Looks useful for shoveling rocks. They say it’s a clay spade. Never seen one of those before.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	508E13E9-5F8E-4379-829B-C50F412BEE25.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	991.8 KB 
ID:	1914944
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Apr 01, 2021 at 07:55 PM.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Ya'll use shovels?

I use a D- handle spade.

On the sultan it is a combination of the right tools, 6ft. prybar ,shovel and a hand powered winch plus ropes to move these rocks. Also this is a very steep canyon, terrain extream.
    delnorter and Gold4Mike like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesorodeoro View Post
    Tell you what...in 1850 breaking a shovel sure ate into your gold mining profits.
    $25 each when gold was $19/oz.

Those shovels were built pretty light. Just made to move loose material. Useless without a pick (another $25 and very prone to breaking). That not only reduced profit but it halted all work till you could find a place to buy a replacement.

Neat to ponder when that large signal turns out to be a worn shovel or broken pick head.
    all the old shovels i dig up are much much heavier and better built than the modern ones

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    all the old shovels i dig up are much much heavier and better built than the modern ones
    Interesting. It must vary with region then.

If I could find a much heavier and better built antique shovel, Iíd put a new handle on it and use it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links