Gold is at 1808 plus per troy ounce

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That equates to just 58$ per gram, maybe time to rethink working my job or go mining. I get 35$ per hour where I work but when I mine I average a gram an hour here in Washington state but on my claims in N. California I average 4 grams an hour and that is just sluicing or panning. What would you do ?

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That equates to just 58$ per gram, maybe time to rethink working my job or go mining. I get 35$ per hour where I work but when I mine I average a gram an hour here in Washington state but on my claims in N. California I average 4 grams an hour and that is just sluicing or panning. What would you do ?
If you're averaging 4 grams an hour that's dang good, I'd be wherever that is right now..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
What about a long vacation and then decide what to do ? BUT $35. per hr. plus benefits , vacation and that $35. comes all year long , rain ,snow , ETC......... your gold streak may peter out at some point !

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russ is right! Do both. Mining does not pay into SS benefits or unemployment insurance, or pay year round. but it can be tax free (shhh)
$35 an hour jobs are hard to come by. You can always go mining during your off time and add that $58 an hour to your steady income while the pay streak lasts and the sun shines.

GG~

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I couldn't wait for gold to hit $481 ozt.....

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your $35/hr job may actually be closer to $60/hr if you have decent benefits. Personally I’d try and take off 2 days and do a 4 day weekend on the claim every once in awhile. 60 grains an hour average panning is really good in my opinion.

Saw a red fox run across the road by the gate on the road to your claim last time I drove by. Probably heading down to look for mice at the cabin.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, a lot of us want a claim that produces 4 grams an hr. Heck, some of us are HAPPY with 4 grams for the day. But, you cant go work it due to a great $35hr job. That deffinatly makes the choice difficult. I'd have to agree with staying at the day job. But, I'd be dreaming of being on the claim all day. That to me is the definition of torture.... Sell the claim to me and end this madness!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is spotty, inconsistent, doesn't always follow the "rules" and good streaks ALWAYS run out at some point.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were me I'd follow the advice of those who say "Don't quit your day job":laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I do if I were you ? ? ?

I wouldn't quit your day job. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I do if I were you ? ? ?

I wouldn't quit your day job. heh

sheesh I just read that I was not the only response that stemmed from reality.

Work weeks... mine weekends... have fun :)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really feel seriously conflicted...find a job in that nice little town you drive through when you leave the valley heading for your claim...sell your house...quit your job...buy a new house...then mine every weekend AND work a full time job. That would be a dream wouldn't it? Entirely possible probably.

Be 40 minute drive from your house to the claim.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If you really feel seriously conflicted...find a job in that nice little town you drive through when you leave the valley heading for your claim...sell your house...quit your job...buy a new house...then mine every weekend AND work a full time job. That would be a dream wouldn't it? Entirely possible probably.

Be 40 minute drive from your house to the claim.
AND you might just hire some kids to do the work for you! Let them gather the material and you go get the raw material and process it on weekends! BEST of both worlds!:occasion14:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I lived close by. Since I am retired I could work the claim full time and give you a 50/50 split which would get you to $64 an hour. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time I was there I got 6grams , remember I have been going there since 1995 during the big flood. That flood changed the way I though were the gold was and thus my journey into working the high benches. My suggestion to you is the next time you are there picture the river being about 18 to 20ft high and work the ground from that level and up, you know that big monster rock in the river, I start perpendicular to it. I know that area is over grown so be prepared to clear some brush, there is still virgin ground there.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is were it is, it wasn't there after the big flood but threw the years it grew back, the higher you go the more ancient the deposit is. As you know there is a ledge up there and even more powerful floods created that and there is gold in that bench to.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a leave, if you can hold your job. Married? children? live off the grid, RV or Outfitters tent. Just you, you have it made, if not can be a lot to contend with. When I was in the RV business in Wyoming, I had 2 couples stop in the early Spring, from New Orleans. They had a claim in Idaho, this was their second year.They told me they planned to get over 1 Mi$$ion this year, and it was 1978. Go figure, price of gold. I was very interested and we talked for over an hour. I had $$$ and youth at the time, and was thinking about buying in and furnish some muscle and equipment. They were driving hydraulic trucks, wives were in 4x4's pulling campers.
Would've, should've,could've. BUT at the time I was knocking out a lotta $$. Looking back, MAYBE, I might have made my first Mi$$ion sooner.
I'm where I am because of the choices I've made. ****the fork in the road, pave it , put in utilities and build a sub-division. Put it on paper and weigh the +- for 5 years
Oh yea, they stopped by the following year as I asked them to do, and yes they were Mi$$ionaires. Way to go kids. I say kids, they looked to be in their late 20's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread