California beach sand mining

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not having devoted any time to California and its' crazy out of control laws, I have a simple two part question.

1. Can one legally use a suction dredge at or below the low tide mark.

2. Can you dredge above the the low tide mark... in other words, anywhere on the beach.

Filling all holes, so as not to create negative reactions to your dredging activities. After all, use, but don't abuse public property.

Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not onshore. Offshore I'm not sure I have wondered about dredging off where the klamath hits the ocean.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being the unregulated sort of person, I'm not trying to pick things apart, but the former software engineer part of me does not process variables too well. What do you define as offshore? Is that where the water meets the low tide mark and out towards the ocean? Is it a water depth past the low tide mark? Californicated rules are usually meant to part you from your money for no definable reason whatsoever.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's simple 200 miles off shore beyond US territorial waters, just to safe, LOL

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To a mariner it would technically be variable as the tide ebbs and floods. The shore is obviously land sans water. If you are offshore you are on or in the water. :wink:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It goes to the historic high water mark for boundry waters. So the beach is federal public land, as much as the state/city/county would like to make you think it's theirs. In MI, all property rights end at that mark, and they won't allow you to record a mineral claim past it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It goes to the historic high water mark for boundry waters. So the beach is federal public land, as much as the state/city/county would like to make you think it's theirs. In MI, all property rights end at that mark, and they won't allow you to record a mineral claim past it.

But there is a world of difference between recording a claim and extracting a mineral by a non-intrusive means.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are no mining claims possible in Michigan. It's not one of the public land states subject to the mining acts. There are no federal lands open to location in Michigan and there never have been.

If indeed the land below the high water mark is federal land there might be a possibility of arranging a federal lease or mineral sale. To my knowledge the law states that the beds of navigable rivers or lakes belong to the state in which they are found. That's part of the "equal footing" doctrine applied to all states. If you know of a different law it would be interesting to read it.

The State of Michigan however is open to potentially leasing the mineral rights they hold. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The coastal seas are a deep subject. :laughing7:

Here's a graphic to help you understand what's what.

gcil_shoreline31.jpg

That only applies to coastal waters. Michigan and other interior states have no coastline so if there is submerged land below a navigable river or lake the state controls the bed (but not necessarily the water). :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread