last minute trip to the Uwharrie NC with my sons

mmerc20

Oct 22, 2007
Cary, NC
I just posted an introduction despite having been a member since 2007 but I was hoping to get some last-minute advice from NC members.

I am taking my two boys camping and panning in the Uwharrie this weekend (yes its going to be HOT and probably raining) but they got the gold bug when the whole covid thing started in March. I had bought some bags of paydirt for them to search at home and they were hooked. My oldest has a little difficulty working the pan because recurring tumors in his forearm and the five surgeries he's had so with that and the tiny bit of gold he's found he has gotten discouraged. I am keeping my fingers crossed he is a little more successful on the trip but I have some questions.

No, I'm not expecting someone will reveal their super secret lucky panning/sluice spots but curious of areas I could take them that might be less frequented. I don't know how full the campsites are but my first choice is the Hunt Camp site (followed by Canebrake and Badin Horse camp) but was wondering if the creeks near those camps could be a good option for the boys NOT to come back empty handed...or vial.

the Hunt Camp has Moccasin Creek nearby, as does Canebrake and Badin Horse has McLean's Creek. Would those be good option for them? What other "sure things" might I consider for them?

Thanks so much,

Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread