Give me some perspective please - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Give me some perspective please

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3197 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdum View Post
    I'm not catching a lot of fine gold so either I am running it in water that is too fast or putting too much dirt in at a time. It could also be that there just isn't alot of fine stuff here...I don't know. It's a learning curve thing for sure.

I don't think it seats well on the carpet in the front because of the expanded metal. Should I remove the expanded metal or maybe hang it off the tail end a bit more so the riffles can get a better bite?
    One other consideration for you is to perhaps lessen the angle of the sluice in fast water. As long as you do not pack the riffles your recovery could/should(?) improve.

Good luck
    Last edited by arizau; Jul 27, 2020 at 01:31 PM.
    et1955 and Bodfish Mike like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Feb 2016
    51 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What state is this, and what exactly do they consider a "bank". I know in some it's below the water line which opens up a lot of area in the summer.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    Have you tested your tailings from the sluice ?. That will be your indicator if you are running the sluice properly.
    Gambrinus likes this.

Jul 2020
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
    What state is this, and what exactly do they consider a "bank". I know in some it's below the water line which opens up a lot of area in the summer.
    Ohio...the language is rather vague and it's not particularly illegal to dig in the bank from what I understand. It's just frowned upon because undercut banks can be dangerous to others using the area. I just stay to the parts of the creek that I am sure that high water would reclaim for me.

Jul 2020
    24 times
    I tried to do a loss test yesterday and failed miserably. The water was high so I was having trouble getting my sluice placed just right. The place I found didn't provide room for a catch pan.

I got 0.1g yesterday

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    First I hope you are classifying to at least a 1/2 inch before running it threw your sluice, second just take a shovel and scope up some of your tailings and pan it out and if there is no tailings at the end of your sluice you are running your sluice to fast. Finally take a classified bucket and pan it out, that should tell you what to expect when sluicing.

Jul 2020
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    First I hope you are classifying to at least a 1/2 inch before running it threw your sluice, second just take a shovel and scope up some of your tailings and pan it out and if there is no tailings at the end of your sluice you are running your sluice to fast. Finally take a classified bucket and pan it out, that should tell you what to expect when sluicing.
    I classifyng down to about 1/4 inch. I don't know... whatever the noodle strainer I stole from my girlfriend is lol.

My tailings from the original spot got washed away. I was able to get about a quarter pan worth from the new spot and didn't find anything but I don't consider that a proper test.

I need a longer shovel now. My hole is too deep for my tiny utility shovel and it keeps paying so I'ma keep digging. It's about 3 feet deep now and full of water. I was only just digging about a foot down and moving on but now I am going to dig until it stops paying out.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    14803 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Don......

+29.02
    +1.47%

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12757 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Don't go lower than half inch for classifying it's just slowing you down.

I don't classify at all unless I have pretty low flow. the dirt you dig has more of an affect on your take than classifying.

Don't overload the sluice good flow you can feed material pretty quick.
    delnorter, russau and Reed Lukens like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links