Keep getting skunked (sort of...)

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last 5 or 6 times I've gone out have been kind of discouraging. I like getting out there regardless, but when I'm busting my ass for something that doesn't even show up on the scale, I definitely start getting a little discouraged and start losing confidence.

I think part of the reason is I was starting to find more and more gold the more I got out an explored. I remember seeing a small but nice flake maybe 3-4 months ago, and thinking it was the biggest piece I'd ever seen. Fast forward and now the total gold I've found equals out to probably about 1 gram. I've found more than a few chunkier pieces that can be pinched out of my pan, and a couple small pickers. Maybe I was just starting to get spoiled.

Did this happen to anyone else when they were first starting out? Any victory stories? I've been pretty much only going to well known spots. I'm wondering if that also has a lot to do with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_211102.jpg
    IMG_20200715_211102.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If we’re not getting skunked we’re not doing it right!

We’ve all been where you’re at. Am darn glad we powered through. Lot of gold out there!

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious what method are you using and what state.
Panning-Sluicing-Drywashing-Detecting? I know you said pan but it all comes down to this in the end.
Nice looking gold.
Cheers Mike

OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious what method are you using and what state.
Panning-Sluicing-Drywashing-Detecting? I know you said pan but it all comes down to this in the end.
Nice looking gold.
Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike.

I live in placer county, California. I do painting, sluicing, and detecting. I don't really do a lot of sluicing though, because it's just so hard on my back. If I find a spot with enough material though and enough little specks and flakes then I'll bring it out.

Last edited:

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Mike.

I live in placer county, California. I do painting, sluicing, and detecting. I don't really do a lot of sluicing though, because it's just so hard on my back. If I find a spot with enough material though and enough little specks and flakes then I'll bring it out.

Grew up there lol. You are lucky because there are some seriously big nuggets waiting to be uncovered! As teens we would dig the creeks. Get $200 some days and as kids in the 70's that made us RICH!!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i go to a couple places that i always find a little gold.i call that mining.but i always think there is a better place.i call that prospecting.so when i get discouraged prospecting i just go back to the mining spots for the day.
this works for me ,good luck brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions