Hang on to your Pyrite

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems that the physicists in Minnesota may have developed
an industrial use for iron sulfide, aka fools gold.

"In a breakthrough new study, scientists and engineers at the University of Minnesota
have electrically transformed the abundant and low-cost non-magnetic material iron
sulfide, also known as "fool's gold" or pyrite, into a magnetic material.

This is the first time scientists have ever electrically transformed an entirely non-magnetic
material into a magnetic one, and it could be the first step in creating valuable new
magnetic materials for more energy-efficient computer memory devices.
"

The whole article is at:

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-gold-valuable.html

Upvote 0

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info. I have lots, never threw any away over the years in the gold fields.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early miners used to complain about that annoying worthless mineral called "Platinum".

100 years from now they are going to talk about us tossing aside $10,000 an ounce pyrite.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Why save my little bits?I see so much of it in the water. Makes me wonder if there are places where it can be mined by the truck load

BentFunky

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why save my little bits?I see so much of it in the water. Makes me wonder if there are places where it can be mined by the truck load

When I was a kid, my grand parents had friends who were coal miners in Murphy, NC. They used to bring home large chunks of pyrite and give them away as gifts. Don't know what happened to it, but they gave me a chunk that could be used as a door stop.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread