It's that time again! Annual Claims Paperwork

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As Land Matters does every new mining year we are offering for download our annual mining claims flow diagrams and written explanations of the annual BLM mining claim filing requirements. These filing aids have helped many claim owners wade through the BLM filing requirements.

These popular PDF handouts are updated for the upcoming 2021 mining year (beginning September 1, 2020). Feel free to share and post these wherever you wish as long as you don't modify them and keep them intact with their copyright notices.

Reminder
The federal filing deadline this year for all mining claims is Monday August 31, 2020.

Download the Free 2020 Annual Federal Mining Claims Filing Requirements

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've uploaded it to this post.

You should be able to download it here.

Heavy Pans

Attachments

• 2020mcf.pdf
    295 KB · Views: 97

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Clay, so you should claim before Sept 1 or after Sept 1 to avoid paying twice, I was glancing online yesterday and it said something along those lines, everything is kind of hectic around me so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions lol...

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never mind, I see you said it has to be by August 31st of this year, looks like I better get moving quickly, thanks for the information Clay.

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok, that works better, kind of hoping we'll get a monsoon soon to do some more scouting, I'll file after Sept 1st, thanks again Clay.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay every year I look forward to your one-stop-shop for the filing requirements.

MyLandMatters.org is an incredible site. Guys take a minute and send some $$$ to these guys! The knowledge on that site can save your claim or help know the laws. I donate regularly because it is used so often. The mapping is a treasure trove.

Thanks Clay! It is always appreciated.

Chuck

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aaaaaarg, now I have to call the Siskiyou county recorders office and find out out what I have to pay for the N.O.I., filling is cheap but the state tax on this is a pain, ironic since we can't mine our claims the way we want too.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay I have a question about the 2020 flowchart.

It says as you follow the Small Miner Waiver flow that the Affidavit of Assessment Work needs to be filed with the County Recorder before 12/30/2020.

I am only knowledgeable about Nevada in that they require the Affidavit of Assessment Work be filed with the County Recorder by 11/01/2020.

You're pretty dang smart on this stuff and I might be in error. Please advise.

Thanks.

Chuck

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay I have a question about the 2020 flowchart.

It says as you follow the Small Miner Waiver flow that the Affidavit of Assessment Work needs to be filed with the County Recorder before 12/30/2020.

I am only knowledgeable about Nevada in that they require the Affidavit of Assessment Work be filed with the County Recorder by 11/01/2020.

You're pretty dang smart on this stuff and I might be in error. Please advise.

Thanks.

Chuck

You are not in error. Nevada public record deadline is November 1st. California is September 30th if I remember right. In Arizona it's the same as the fed deadline December 30. Your public record requirements are governed by state laws so it does vary.

Since you should perform the labor and file a copy of your recorded affidavit by December 30th under federal law it just makes sense you would need to record in the county by that same date. That's the federal requirement.

The flow chart is to explain how to accomplish your federal mining claims filing for the upcoming year. If you follow the flow of the chart down to the end you always end up in the same place, the yellow block at the bottom right that says:

!up.png

Always Review State Mining Laws
Dates shown are Federal Deadlines
State Laws may have earlier required Deadlines

I've considered adding a few pages on to show the state requirements but I haven't seen any real interest in individual state public record requirements. It's a lot more work to check each state for changes each year but I'd be willing to put in the hours if I was convinced people would use it.

Here's the deal for those who are wondering what this is about - there 2 different annual requirements to maintain your mining claim:

1. Every year for every mining claim you intend to keep there needs to be a public record made of your claim status. How and when that's done is up to the individual states. In most states the public record is made at the county recorder's office.
  2. Every year since 1980 for every mining claim you intend to keep there needs to be an informational filing submitted to the state BLM office in the state where your claim is located. This is a required federal filing under the FLPMA.
State = Public Record
Federal = Form Filing

The County Recorder just records documents. They couldn't care less about your claim's federal filings. More importantly the state courts will rely on the public record but not on government filings.

The feds couldn't care less about the state recording requirements and they certainly can't enforce state recording requirements. Not their problem.

Two very different things but both are required.

The flow chart really only covers the federal filings requirement. I'm trying to envision it with little branches and arrows pointing from every state if it did include state record requirements. I'm a gettin' dizzy. I'm gonna have to think this one over raildog. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread