Prospecting Safety - The Heat & The Snakes - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Prospecting Safety - The Heat & The Snakes

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4794 times
    Good words of advice !
    Goodyguy likes this.

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Jefferson Coast
    800 times
    Prospecting
    Lots of good advice. Long ago I learned to use a walking staff to bang on the ground to warn the rattlers of my approach. It is also in my nature to "dispatch" the critter not out of vengeance, but to prevent the critter from harming another person or or pet. always bury the head to prevent a yellowjacket from injesting the venom and then stinging someone. Any opinions on what the first aid is nowadays for a rattlesnake bite? Last I heard it was to ice the wound, keep calm, elevate the heart and seek a doctors care. Don't make an incision to suck out the venom. This may not always be possible. What's the answer?
    Last edited by wildminer; Aug 14, 2020 at 11:24 AM.
    T.C. likes this.

us
    Prospector

Apr 2014
    Modesto, CA
    868 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Hey SHR, I was just thinking of you, I was mining at the place I took you, last week, found a rich spot over 200 flakes per pan and you ounce stood on it, LOL. My method to prepare for a trip is Pizza and Beer, always works for me. As I always said get in shape to mine not use mining to get in shape.
    Hey Ed!! I think of that trip often. I learned a lot. I remember you telling me that the gold was on the top 6 inches... I kept wanting to think the good gold would be deeper, and by the end of the day realized -you were right, that the gold was on the top 6 inches LOL!! Now whenever a fellow prospector shows me a new spot, i tend to listen to their advice a little better now!

Beautiful lush forest you took me to, and we got some decent color for just panning. The sad thing is - The room keeper at the hotel i was staying in threw away my snuffer bottle thinking it was trash LOL... adds to the story i guess Hope all is well my friend!
    Goodyguy and et1955 like this.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    1138 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    Quote Originally Posted by wildminer View Post
    Lots of good advice. Long ago I learned to use a walking staff to bang on the ground to warn the rattlers of my approach. It is also in my nature to "dispatch" the critter not out of vengeance, but to prevent the critter from harming another person or or pet. always bury the head to prevent a yellowjacket from injesting the venom and then stinging someone. Any opinions on what the first aid is nowadays for a rattlesnake bite? Last I heard it was to ice the wound, keep calm, elevate the heart and seek a doctors care. Don't make an incision to suck out the venom. This may not always be possible. What's the answer?
    I've got a dirty joke about this -- not appropriate to tell here.
    But the punch line is "looks like your going to die"
    Clay Diggins, wildminer and arizau like this.
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1067 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by wildminer View Post
    I prefer a #2 shovel and while I don't have deal with snakes, bears, cougars and bobcats are always around the places I go and a #2 shovel makes a lot noise when it hits the ground or rock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links