Mine info on Mindat question

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm doing some research on a couple of mines on Monday, and in the first paragraph, it says that they are both on "private land within a National Forest boundary".

Now one of the mines I am almost 100% sure is not on private land. I've looked at a couple different maps that say it is part of the Nat. Forest. Does anyone ever run into this, or am I doing something wrong? I would think that Mindat would be pretty up to date.

Also, since we're on the subject of doing research on Mindat, if the mine in question was a lode mine, but it doesn't mention free gold, does this mean that there was no free gold found there?

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm doing some research on a couple of mines on Monday, and in the first paragraph, it says that they are both on "private land within a National Forest boundary".

Now one of the mines I am almost 100% sure is not on private land. I've looked at a couple different maps that say it is part of the Nat. Forest. Does anyone ever run into this, or am I doing something wrong? I would think that Mindat would be pretty up to date.

Also, since we're on the subject of doing research on Mindat, if the mine in question was a lode mine, but it doesn't mention free gold, does this mean that there was no free gold found there?

This is just a guess but the mine area may be a patented claim...when patented that land area becomes private even though it may be fully bounded by a national forest. Look the mine area(s) up on the website "MY LAND MATTERS" and if my guess is right MLM will confirm it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a guess but the mine area may be a patented claim...when patented that land area becomes private even though it may be fully bounded by a national forest. Look the mine area(s) up on the website "MY LAND MATTERS" and if my guess is right MLM will confirm it.

Thanks for this info. I'm more used to using thediggings.com, but they seem to agree with each other nicely. The only difference I notice, is that the sections are divided into 4 quarters on the diggings.

There is a 40 acre claim on an adjacent section to the one that Mindat says the mine is on but that's it. I still feel like Mindat is right, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's not easy for the uninitiated to figure out where they can and can't prospect sometimes it seems.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the question is about National Forest private enclosed land look at Land Matters advanced National Forest mapping. It shows private inholdings as well as subsurface rights on the National Forests. It's the only National Forest map available that shows detailed ownership.

Land Matters provides Sections divided to the quarter/quarter (40 acres) on every map. Just turn on the "PLSS Second Division" layer in the Land Status map layers on any map. Turn on the "Special Surveys" layer to see mineral surveys.

The mines mapping in Mindat is most often the same old USGS MRDS (Mineral Resources Data System) file every map uses. The MRDS mines mapping is notoriously inaccurate with many duplicates and many mine locations off by anywhere from a quarter mile to several miles.

To find the actual physical location of mines or workings use the Land Matters "Topo Mineral Features" map layer. Those locations are generally accurate within 40 feet. You will find that layer on the the Mining Claims Maps as well as map layers with MRDS mines mapping and mineral patents.

Heavy Pans

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
We've had an advanced version MRDS gold map on Land Matters for several years Mike. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Clay--Thanks for link very cool.
I like the USGS one as you can look by commodity.
Lot's of tungsten mines in my area and a few uranium.
Also lot' of small mines not an any map.

I meet a local miner that said his grandfather would stack
tungsten ore at the mine and said it wasn't a gold mine to
keep its open during the war.

Cheers Mike

OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the question is about National Forest private enclosed land look at Land Matters advanced National Forest mapping. It shows private inholdings as well as subsurface rights on the National Forests. It's the only National Forest map available that shows detailed ownership.

Land Matters provides Sections divided to the quarter/quarter (40 acres) on every map. Just turn on the "PLSS Second Division" layer in the Land Status map layers on any map. Turn on the "Special Surveys" layer to see mineral surveys.

The mines mapping in Mindat is most often the same old USGS MRDS (Mineral Resources Data System) file every map uses. The MRDS mines mapping is notoriously inaccurate with many duplicates and many mine locations off by anywhere from a quarter mile to several miles.

To find the actual physical location of mines or workings use the Land Matters "Topo Mineral Features" map layer. Those locations are generally accurate within 40 feet. You will find that layer on the the Mining Claims Maps as well as map layers with MRDS mines mapping and mineral patents.

Heavy Pans

This was incredibly helpful. I've been limping along in my research for the last hour or so on the Advanced Nat. Forest Map and it is pretty helpful. I do have another more specific question about the map if you don't mind helping me out again.

When I click on some of the sections, the surface ownership will say that it is owned by the USDA Forest Service. This seems like a good sign to me, but I'm a little confused on what the case name means. Some of them say Southern Pacific Land Co., and some of them say "R05 RESERVED PD - CREATIVE ACT (FOR. RES.) - ENF". Are both of these still public land?

Also discovered a very large portion of land out there in the woods that is owned by Bank of America. I wouldn't of thought I'd see that, but I guess it makes sense that they might own some valuable land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread