vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
You might consider browsing Forum: Ohio...

Superdum

Greenie
Jul 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking for a buddy to go with, and I'm also trying to find some spots allowed to do this. Have one spot in Chillicothe where I got a decent picker we could check out, trying to find others somewhat close to Columbus. Any help is greatly appreciated, most of the old ohio guys that were on this forum don't seem to be active anymore.

Akron area here. I'm on the gold!

You are allowed to prospect on any public land that is not a state forest. I look at the map of glacial moraines and then find a creek that runs through them but also has a park or Ohio wildlife area. As long as it's not State Forest you are good to pan, sluice, high bank, or dredge up to a 4 incher.

Ohio wildlife areas can be found on the odnr website. Look also for your local watershed district website. They have alot of public lands associated with them too.

Your best bet looks to be fairfield or perry county. Clear creek metro park seem like an ok place to look imo

Last edited:
OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't seem to be much around Columbus that I've found anyway. But I'm willing to travel, I think it's confusing the way I wrote it, but trying to stay within an hour and a half drive. Got onxhunt which tells you who owns what property. Surprisingly doesn't seem to be many what looks to be good spots(where the glaciers stopped) that aren't owned by private owners. Guess I might try sending them a letter see what happens.

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was in Columbus a few months back and scooped up some dirt the city dropped off at a park near Alum creek and the Scioto. Cant remember the park but I got home and panned it I got some shineyyyy.. fines..lol either way Ill take it.. Im in Stow and I have permission to drop my sluice in our city parks and besides getting a few glass cuts and a bad cut (my fault) with infection I have grabbed some flour. I have found a few places within 8 miles of my location using USGA maps that have panned out decently.. Anyone interested in meeting up let me know.. Some places are....how do we say envelope runners and others are allowed. 8-)

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking for a buddy to go with, and I'm also trying to find some spots allowed to do this. Have one spot in Chillicothe where I got a decent picker we could check out, trying to find others somewhat close to Columbus. Any help is greatly appreciated, most of the old ohio guys that were on this forum don't seem to be active anymore.

I’m in Cedarville, not far from Xenia. I’ve been at it for a couple years now. Mostly found decent deposits of flood gold nothing bigger than some flakes about 1/8”

Always open to meet some other prospectors maybe make some digging buddies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread