Prospecting Mysteries & Surprises

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just recently gave my son a 5 acre plot to build his home on here at Treasure Valley here in Western North Carolina we're located in the South Mountain Gold Belt. In the past I had spotted a few ultramafic rocks on the surface. The site is located on a ridge overlooking a pasture and a creek. When the dozer and excavator began removing the trees I began seeing river rocks high on the plot near the tree line and realized there had been a stream there at some time in the past as I followed the rocks along the tree line in the picture. I tested 4 or 5 of best looking spots and found a few flakes in each spot. Then when they dug the test holes for the septic test they uncovered ultramafic boulders which are green in color and I've included a couple pictures of them as well. I had a local geologist verify what I'm telling here and he has worked with diamond mining companies in South Africa as well as a major gold mine company. A few years ago I had a lab worker here from the University of Arizona and he took some samples back of other ultramafic rocks as well as a few amphibole to date and the results were that these rocks ranged in age from over 300 million years old to over 2 Billion years old. The Ultramafic rocks come from deep in the earth from the mantle and are mostly green in color. It's amazing the the secrets this old earth has under the surface. These are the things that keep us doing what we do, so keep looking down because you just never know.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.42.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.42.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.40.58 PM.png

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread