T-80 Compressor question

inshanity

Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first hookah setup, that consists of a T-80, 3.5 hp engine, and a Keene 60 PSI reserve tank. However, I'm having a little issue. About 3 minutes of running it the pressure release valve on the compressor will start popping, and blowing out excess air. This causes the engine struggle and die. If I hit the purge valve on my regulator it will temporarily alleviate the pressure and stop the engine from struggling. When I'm underwater I can't always tell when this is happening though.

My first thought was to lower the idle so the pressure would build up slower, but when the pressure eventually did built up it died a lot easier that way. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The compressor has a new diaphragm, and has been thoroughly cleaned. The engine is brand new. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks,

Shane

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITs supposed to cycle and blow off excess pressure. Are you running it at least at half throttle? Blow-off shouldnt be doing anything to lug the engine to the point of dying. Are you sure the blow-off valve is set correctly? Only cause I can think of is that the T-80 is building too much pressure, to the point that it just cant function any longer, which is happening right when it pops-off.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I agree with Jason ! check where your pop off is set at ! take the pop off out and clean it , then adjust it to pop off about 40 PSI . What size pulleys are you using ? Maybe you have the big pully on the engine?????

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A t-80 is rated at 45psi so this is the setting of the pop off valve. Put a pressure gauge on it and see where it's popping at.
If the pop off setting is correct then you probably have too small of a pulley on the compressor and when it builds pressure it puts too much load on the motor. Coincidental that its popping off at the same time.
Operational RPM is 1800 but you have to math that out to adjust for pulley reduction

OP
OP
I

inshanity

Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200919_161144.jpg

Thank you everyone for your responses. My valve does look really old. Where is the best place to buy a new one?
Does my pulley look like it's the right size?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a minimum 2 to 1 ratio on the pulleys like 6" on the T80 and 3" on the motor. The T80 is only rated for 1800rpm. Or... you can run it with that pulley set but do the math and get an rpm meter so that you can keep the T80 safe and save some gas by running it just above an idle.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too small of a pulley on the t-80 a 3" on the motor and a 4" on the pump = 2700rpm
5" and a 2 1/2 would give the 1800rpm or a 6" and a 3"
is it rubbing on the floats?

seen a lot of them running a 2 1/2 and a standard 6"
that is usually on the compressor and run just fine at 1500rpm
belt and pulley calculator
https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread