The Slater fire on the west side.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Working for Caltrans, I’ve been helping man the closure point on Highway 199, California side, off and on as we take breaks from the worst of the smoke in the fire zone. Talking with firefighters from over the hill, on the Happy Camp side, we hear how you folks have gone through hell. Many have lost all. We are sure sorry for your loss and pray for your recovery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Are there any funds set up to help as we can?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our crews have cut hundreds of burning and burned trees from along our highway right-of-way and adjacent private property getting the California side of 199 open to safe travel. The road will remain closed to northbound, through traffic, just north of Gasquet due to the fire status on the Oregon side. There is still an evacuation order for the areas around O’Brien, Oregon. The changing winds and abundant fuel is keeping the fire alive.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is tremendous pressure to “open” the highway as this is a rural but major route between the local communities of both states a well as being popular vacation travel and destination areas. Besides safety, security of unoccupied homes of those who have evacuated is of paramount concern. Sadly, there are many people who take advantage of others misfortune and tradgity. There are not enough law enforcement to protect folks places while they await safe return home. As such Highway 199 is closed to all but truly essential traffic.

The Six Rivers National Forest here in the northern region remains closed to the general public. As deer hunting season starts up here Saturday, this will not be popular.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hopefully the winds, a chance of rain and the heroic efforts of our firefighters will bring things back under control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mike[/FONT]

Upvote 0

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Mike, thanks for the update and the work that you do. Nice to get a report from boots on the ground! It's sad to see this happen to my "backyard" and old stomping ground. It's very devastating to be impacted by fire.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Mike, you are our eyes and boots, for some of us would love to help too..., after all, we are neighbors,
in this State of Jefferson...!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Mike, you are our eyes and boots, for some of us would love to help too..., after all, we ARE Neighbors,
in this State of Jefferson...!

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oops! that was duplicate

I have family near the Archie Creek Fire, near Glide, OR
and have family in valley below Chiloquin, OR , the 2-4-2 Fire...!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, we really appreciate the work you and your partners are doing in helping with the fires and devastation going on! Thanks to you all.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
You be careful out there Mike.
Been thinking about you guys.

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don, I work for the California Department of Transportation and obviously our mission is to keep the highways open and the people who travel them safe. Our highways go through much of the National Forests and as such, along with all the other maintenance, we fall or clean up fallen trees along these roads. We don’t really consult with the FS. Now the State and National Parks is another story!!

In my area I know controlled burns are done by the Forest Service near outlying communities but I’m not up on the actual policy. It’s minimal at best. Very little is done in the way of management of the Six Rivers National Forest in our area. Some thinning of underbrush along Forest roads and small tract logging of peckerpole trees occasionally.

Mike

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe there were many heroic actions taken in HC.
Lots of devastation in an area already devastated by.......well.....other things related to the fire conditions.

I know many people in that area use 199 in the summer months.

Other than that...standard wildfire efforts with far fewer resources this year.
That’s the biggest difference....there is nobody available to protect private property.

The only sustained controlled burn efforts are carried out by the tribes.
Too many “issues” for the USFS to get anything productive done. They have switched to managing people. JMO

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions