Assayer?

Wint

Oct 2, 2020
North West CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good evening everyone,

I have come across some nice gray/blue clay that I would like to have assayed. I reached out to my local state university geology department, but I am not expecting to hear back any time soon.

Now, I like to think I am a relatively tech savvy person, I have no problem finding things on the internet. But for the life of me, I cannot find an assayer online.

Is there a website where I can pick out what I want to have done? Say for example, a fire assay on some clay. I pay for this, they ship me out a box, with an empty container for the material I need assayed, along with a return shipping slip for it to go back out to them for testing. They then test the material and email me the results, transaction complete. Is there a site out there where it is that simple?

I am located in Central Connecticut so if anyone is from the area and has an Assayer they use I am all ears!

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are several available. What you want is called a "fire assay".

Probably the closest to you is Ray Grimmer in New Jersey.

Lawrence Hittle in Colorado.

Hazen in Colorado.

Reed Labs in California. You want their 20X test.

There are others. I'm not recommending any assayers. DYODD

Most fire assays will cost about $50 per sample. Some assayers charge a little more to crush your sample if needed. Make sure to tell them what metals you are testing for. In general avoid XRF if you are interested in the economic possibilities of your sample. XRF is fine if you just want an idea what might be in your sample.

Heavy Pans

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are several available. What you want is called a "fire assay".

Probably the closest to you is Ray Grimmer in New Jersey.

Lawrence Hittle in Colorado.

Hazen in Colorado.

Reed Labs in California. You want their 20X test.

There are others. I'm not recommending any assayers. DYODD

Most fire assays will cost about $50 per sample. Some assayers charge a little more to crush your sample if needed. Make sure to tell them what metals you are testing for. In general avoid XRF if you are interested in the economic possibilities of your sample. XRF is fine if you just want an idea what might be in your sample.

Heavy Pans

I had used Ray Grimmer when he was still out in Pahrump NV. I was happy with his fee, and the report was returned in a reasonable time frame. That said, I cannot verify whether or not his assay was accurate since we only had one set of samples assayed and I haven't tried any other companies for a side-by-side result.

Joanne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions