Is This Ore?

Wint

Oct 2, 2020
North West CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Folks,

Went and did a little digging in an old river and found some interesting looking rocks with what looks like Quartz and Pyrite. Anyone know what I may be looking at? There were some good chest sized rocks with the same makeup as well.

Any info or ideas are greatly appreciated!

IMG_1826[1].jpg IMG_1857[1].PNG IMG_1852[1].JPG
IMG_1843[1].jpg IMG_1835[1].JPG IMG_1836[1].jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush and pan that will give you the answer you need, could be some in there.

Bubbz

Oct 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno where your prospecting in ct but ive heard that the housatonic river has had a history of gold bein found. As well as a few small creeks. Farmington river mid- far noth has small amounts of gold in it. Just takes alot of material to find anything significant from what ive heard, or gathered.. still plenty of left out there to be found tho! Id be interested in what this ore is composed of tho fersure. Has some nice color in it. Cheers

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An iron mortar an pestle should be in every prospectors kit, crush and pan it out.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And the Mortar & Pestle are so EZ to make ! Use Black iron for the parts of at-least a 3 X 4 inch pipe nipple and a black iron pipe cap ! I used (EZ quick build) threaded fitting's BUT the weld together parts are also good ! Plus I've made them of a bigger diameter and longer (out of heavier steel ) also with a steel rod several feet long for a small rock crusher to bust up the larger piece's ! Good Luck on your process !:icon_thumright:

SDBanks

Jul 14, 2020
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had similar questions when getting started. In short you can't tell from a photo or just by looking unless you have really rich visible gold. You need to crush it really fine and pan it or get it assayed to know if your ore has gold in it.

OP
OP
W

Wint

Oct 2, 2020
North West CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the Iron Mortar and Pestle idea!

I get what you are saying about using a pipe nipple and cap, but what do you guys use to crush your material down in? Do you have some kind of large container that you crush the stones in?

I imagine it will need to be made of metal or something to be able to break down the material without the container itself being destroyed in the crushing process?

Anyone have any suggestions on what they use?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can make a simple crusher by welding a short section of 3" or so pipe to a piece of plate steel. Put rocks in pipe and pound them to powder with a capped section of pipe or whatever. Screen off the larger leftover pieces of rock and place back in pipe and pound to desired consistency.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wint

Oct 2, 2020
North West CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was actually considering just that! I was going to build it out of a 3" Galvanized pipe nipple, but after I priced everything up to build it the way I want (Which would have been by no means high quality) I would only be saving like $12, so I am just going to buck up and drop the $80 on a professionally made one. An investment that should last me a lifetime!

The one I am looking at comes with an unpainted finish, and painted, I am guessing I will want to go with the unpainted so I don't have tons of paint chips mixed in with the cons?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a portable sampling crusher that I made from 2" pipe for the ramrod and 3" and 4" exhaust tubing and 1/4" steel plate for the bottoms of the chambers.
The ramrod pipe has a one inch by three foot long rebar inside which adds weight and creates a double impact ......
crushers.jpg crushers2.jpg

Then for more production at home I made these chain flail crushers ................

pv.jpg bc1.jpg

007.jpg 008.jpg
Before and................................................... after crushing, first pass.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread