Placer Gold and Dam's

Wint

Oct 2, 2020
North West CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good afternoon everyone!

I am back at it again with more questions. There is a Dam a couple of miles down the river from me (Picture Attached) that was built in 1964. As you can somewhat see from the picture, the river normally runs through the dam without any issue. But when there is a ton of rain, or in the spring after a heavy winter and all the melt begins to flow the entire valley backs up and easily raises 20+ feet or more, the river overflows and begins to flow over the spillway circled on the left.

So here is the question. Would this location be a good place to hunt around for placer gold? It is pretty much a bottleneck for the entire river. Has anyone poked around some dam's with any luck? I am even thinking I can do some crevassing on the left side overflow since it is all concrete pad, may have some cracks and such to poke in, and it is butted against a 90 degree stone cliff face.

I know the saying "Gold is where you find it". In this instance I am more asking to make sure I am understanding what I have been reading about rivers and flood events in relation to placer gold. Logic tells me yes, but nothing compares to real world experience.

As always, any and all thoughts, ideas and opinion are welcomed and encouraged!

Appreciate you taking the time!

2020-10-16 11_28_36-Sunnybrook State Park - Google Maps.png

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thought is if you start digging holes anywhere near a dam, even if it is just a large pile of rocks, you will draw unfriendly attention, quickly. I would find the spot upstream, where flood sediment buildup begins ( from settling out in calmer water as it hits the "lake" ). I think heavy minerals would be found upstream of that. When the "lake" forms, any gold will have dropped out long before reaching the dam. IMO.

OP
OP
W

Wint

Oct 2, 2020
North West CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes complete sense.

I like your idea of checking up-stream a bit, seeing if there are any gravel bars where the slowdown begins to happen before hand.

Fortunately this is in a very remote area, with very little foot traffic. If someone is going to bust my balls for pulling a couple pans of dirt from the ground, let them have at it!

The entire valley floods, so If I need to move 100 feet from the dam river inlet, so be it!

Appreciate your feedback guys!

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another "Know before you go", I see you're in Ct. and you picture says it a state park. Be sure you check your state before prospecting.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working cracks in a concrete dam?!
I'd stay clear of messing with dam/spillway concrete.

Doesn't make any sense.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold will be at the other end where the river meets the lake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread