Working huge gravel bar quickly
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree32Likes
  • 4 Post By Underburden
  • 4 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 6 Post By mike(swWash)
  • 1 Post By arizau
  • 4 Post By et1955
  • 1 Post By Ohiogoldfever
  • 3 Post By delnorter
  • 3 Post By Reed Lukens
  • 2 Post By ncclaymaker
  • 4 Post By johnedoe

Thread: Working huge gravel bar quickly

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Working huge gravel bar quickly

I hope I can get some ideas from the collective. I have located a monstrous gravel bar that seems to have reasonable values for around here. This is not my first gravel bar but definitely the biggest.

Trouble is itís about a 3/4 mile hike in, with a wide river crossing. A large high banker is not a great option as I prospect alone and donít have the desire to make multiple trips (river crossing makes a cart sketchy)

I wander if you guys have any suggestions for concentrating large amounts down to a reasonable concentration? Maybe a tarp in a bowl shape, pumping water in as you rake all the larger stones out? Dragging the rake through should bring the lighter stuff to the top allowing it to be removed reasonably easily. I donít mind dragging a backpack of cons back to process at home.

Just trying to find a reasonable way to knock the top 95% off a huge pile of gravel without a full scale process on the edge of the river.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can give.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    1094 times
    Prospecting
    Don't try to swallow the whole pie...take it piece by piece. I've got a gravel bar on one of my claims and it kicks my butt just working an 8'x8' area. One day removing overburden, boulders before getting down to better pay. A back pack full of cons? 100 pounds?
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    7249 times
    Prospecting
    Had a very large gravel bar to work a few years back...here's
    a couple of the solutions I tried:

Building an oversized classifer

Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Just Another etting Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
    1393 times
    Prospecting
    Ok, here are my thoughts.
    Does it show several colors per pan?
    If it only has a few colors per pan....keep sampling...especially on the upstream end.
    If you get something that is worth some work to you then go to #1

1. Build a plywood high banker classifier and sluice that's as long as your state allows and make it in 3-4' sections to make them light enough to hike in. The longer the better!
    BTW which state are you working in?
    2.Line it with Goldhog mats or mats of your choice.
    3. Hike in the disposable wooden sluice box sections and hide them as best you can.
    4. From then on you just need to bring in the pump, fuel and mats as needed for use.
    Silence is golden and gold is silent....unless you make too much noise!
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    1083 times
    Metal Detecting

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3280 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogoldfever View Post
    I hope I can get some ideas from the collective. I have located a monstrous gravel bar that seems to have reasonable values for around here. This is not my first gravel bar but definitely the biggest.

Trouble is it’s about a 3/4 mile hike in, with a wide river crossing. A large high banker is not a great option as I prospect alone and don’t have the desire to make multiple trips (river crossing makes a cart sketchy)

I wander if you guys have any suggestions for concentrating large amounts down to a reasonable concentration? Maybe a tarp in a bowl shape, pumping water in as you rake all the larger stones out? Dragging the rake through should bring the lighter stuff to the top allowing it to be removed reasonably easily. I don’t mind dragging a backpack of cons back to process at home.

Just trying to find a reasonable way to knock the top 95% off a huge pile of gravel without a full scale process on the edge of the river.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    I don't think there is an easy solution for you that doesn't involve some bulky equipment. That said one way to field process a fairly decent quantity of feed is to do production panning. That method generates super concentrates that can be hiked out and taken home to process for gold recovery. Search this forum for "production panning" if you are not familiar with the method.

I don't own one but I think a pyramid pro pan is ideally suited for this method and the bonus...it is suggested to use it while sitting.��

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Oct 19, 2020 at 11:48 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1169 times
    Prospecting
    For us to give you a better plan you should give us a pic of your gravel bar, it is not necessary to dig up the whole gravel bar ounce you understand flood deposition.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my claim.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	967.4 KB 
ID:	1873142this a 16 acre claim I own and I know from experience where to dig. Test your area and find the flood lines, they will be the richest .

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Thanks for the responses guys. I should have clarified a few things in the post. Sorry for any confusion.

I have sampled the bar fairly well, some to be done yet. It’s far to large to process in its entirety so working sections is the only way to work it. Rather than a flat (ish) deposit it’s been stacked at random heights as high as 15’ above the current water level with some many large stones on top so it seem that it’s likely to be loaded assuming it’s like the one I’ve just finished working that was 100 th the size.

I surly wasn’t planning on hiking 100 sacks of sands out. I just used back pack as an easier way to curry 50 or so pounds at a time.

I’ll gather some pictures when I’m out there next.

I’m not looking to knock it out in one large punch. Just looking for ways to get as much concentrate out as reasonable without packing in the 10 mule teams worth of equipment.

Suggestions are appreciated.
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    1165 times
    I really don’t think it’s practical to pack out concentrates unless it is a very rich gravel bar. You will somehow be processing the material onsite. If your going to reduce a volume (?) of material down to a 50 lb. load you need to then reduce that down to no more than 1 lb. with production panning, as mentioned above.

Is there any way you can pack in some long sections of fire hose and header box to gravity feed a sluice or highbanker?

Mike

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    4468 times
    A Gold Fox Extreme with a wx15 pump and dream mat. I've got both the battery style and a pump. The dream mat allows you to run more water with the WX15 Honda pump.
    https://www.goldfoxusa.com/products
    delnorter, et1955 and russau like this.

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep.
    257 times
    Prospecting
    Keep it nice and simple... use the most highly efficient sluice out there - the Gold Well vortex drop riffle sluice, whatever size suction dredge unit w/pump, and shazamm you're in business. Been using one for years. As far as concentrates go, bring a Mason jar or two. with your pan. PS. don't think of buying that counterfeit piece of Canadian crap. As they say, "the devil is in the details". The poor SOB made a few errors when he plagarized/stole the design. It does not function as originally designed by Bernie (RIP). www.goldwellsluice.com in Lynn, Mass. Don't buy any miner's moss or some other garbage to cover up poor design work... the Gold Well will never need it. Best of luck.
    Last edited by ncclaymaker; Jan 05, 2021 at 04:10 PM.
    Reed Lukens and delnorter like this.
    The view is always better with 500 feet of air under your buttocks.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2234 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Well in the for what it is worth dept,,,,,,,
    Build yourself a large classifier 3'x3' 1/4" mesh.. easy to do with a couple 2x4s and some 1/4 hardware cloth screen.
    Put a tarp under it to catch your screened material... do this in the morning... Run the classified material after lunch through your sluice

Remember, classify the material down close to what you expect your gold size will be...This will improve the performance of your recovery equipment.......
    As to your sluice mats .... Again determine the size of the gold you will be recovering, Use mats that perform well for that range of gold size.... You might also want to add a nugget trap for the odd chance of catching something out of the ordinary.

Haul your cons home.... You should only have a couple quarts of cons, maybe 1 gallon.

Hide the classifier on site as well as your wood framed sluice then all you have to haul out is pump, gas can, mats and cons....

Put legs on it instead of the configuration in the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 11.17.53 PM.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	1891695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 11.08.52 PM.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	1891696
    Last edited by johnedoe; Jan 06, 2021 at 02:27 AM.
    I had a lot more fun when I was 20 in the 70s Than I am having in the 20s at 70.................

Sponsored Links