LIDAR website is up and running!

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone!

I recently managed to get my website launched that is dealing primarily with providing LIDAR to prospectors and detectorists. I will say after taking almost a month to build i appreciate the people who build and run these types of forums even more now!

The website is directed at LIDAR for prospectors and detectorists, but my eventual goal is for it to be the go to source for prospecting research as well, this is because i am slowly adding to the Document Library that i been building there, and over the coming months i will be adding all the various prospecting and mining related documents that ive found in my research. The overall plan is to make the document library the a one stop place for all gold related documents, that way when a prospector is doing research he doesn't have to scour the web for obscure hard to find articles. I should caveat here as well that the website is not aimed at claim research as i am not the most familiar with the claim system, it is aimed at geologic and historic mines research. There are lots of websites out there dedicated to the claim system, for that type of info http://www.mylandmatters.org/ cant be beat!

After you look at the site please leave feed back here as this is the first website that ive built and it was learning process to say the least!

Well here is the link!

(Link deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting. The small print could be a little larger and the background images make that small text hard to read. More contrast please. I am however going to bookmark your site. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Underburden thanks for the input, ill try and play around with the small print some to get it pop better.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! Any index or map of areas that have been scanned or do you have to send in the lon and lat and how much area is covered?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MGumby16, I am sorry, but since your website is selling products you are required to be a paying supporting vendor to advertise it or post links to it.

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First I will ask, Why? Lidar maps are free on all the areas I mine here in the western US. It was a surprise that you are charging for something that is free.

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
et1955 - The raw data is free but in most cases that data needs to be taken and run through a number of programs to be turned into something viewable and usable. And generally the free viewers that ive seen like what Oregon does is still not as high of resolution as what can be produced. And being able to overlay it on google earth is the best possible way to use it, since you can then toggle it on off in conjunction with other overlays.

FlipperFla - Its generally easiest if coords are sent as the areas that are covered are constantly being added to.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wish you the best on your project but the LIDAR maps my state provides are very accurate. I know since I have been mining here for over 50 years. Google earth is not accurate due to the fact that they do not upgrade there data every year, floods change the rivers every year, "MY Land Matters" has a better source for current pics of river changes, thanks Clay.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an excellent tool that is FREE

Cheers

https://www.lidarfinder.com/

ABC34013-15C8-4F0E-A554-AF63EFE3115A.jpeg

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree that mylandmatters is an incredible tool, but for what i generally do google earth cant be beat. I like to be able to make my own maps and add in things like geology overlays, soil survey overlays, topo map overlays, as well as my own data from the field. I have yet to find a program that does those better then google earth and in conjunction with lidar overlays it is an incredibly powerful tool. Here is a recent video i did showing how to lidar can be used in conjunction with google earth and old mining maps so that the old mines can be mapped out in a usable way.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to add....
I am not minimizing the OP, or his business model in any way...
unless you are well versed in GE overlays, ArcGIS, LIDAR, or the myriad of other formats, (and groundtruth) it is not very easy to search/gather the information that is available, convert as needed into GE or ArcGIS or GPS format, and provide a valid basemap that a layman would be able to use.

advanced users...

As many of us know, adding the data with correlation, from various sources such as the mag, profiler, photomosaics, GPR, and video, into a GIS or GE format takes a bit of horsepower...

Adding correlated data, such as LIDAR, is certainly of some use...

I always like to tell people, that for me, without the ability to track where to go, but more important, track where I have been...I am nothing more that a brain-dead bark beetle looking for fresh wood....

wood-2009067_960_720.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread