Surprise Gold In Son's Future Back Yard

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You just never where you may find gold - I gave my son 5 acres at Treasure Valley to build on and he picked a spot on a ridge in the woods overlooking a pasture and the creek. I knew there was a few green ultramafic rocks that I had saw on the surface and to be sure it was not a hazardous site I contacted the local state Geologist to check it out with me and he gave his ok. When clearing of the house spot began larger ultramafic rocks were unearthed and behind where his house will sit I began noticing river rock on the ridge and began to follow it. Then decided to take a sample in the cobble and sure enough found a few flakes of gold then I decided to take a few more samples and the first 5 taken there were a few flakes of gold. The ancient stream was wide according to the river rocks and runs opposite from the current streams on the property. I'm going to post a picture while the clearing was going on, the old stream is above the equipment you see in the background and my tractor in the foreground along the remaining tree line.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 7.19.19 PM.png

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck ! Found some here, in your neck of the woods a few years ago :) 2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0015.JPG

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The old saying in real estate is "Location-location-location" and I think it fits well here as "Gold is where you find it".

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RTR cabin looks similar to my cabin at Lookadoo Gold Mine in Treasure Valley, where were you in WNC ?

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 5.14.39 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 5.12.35 PM.png

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was taken at 2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0002.JPG cotton patch gold mine NC. 2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0017.JPG

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
That was taken at View attachment 1885015 cotton patch gold mine NC.

I love that picture with the two guy’s looking into the water. My guess is that they are fishermen as well as MD’rs and they’re saying “I wonder if there’s any fish in there? Think we should try it?”

dts

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My guess is that one of these two individuals who are staring into the water are looking for the nugget that fell out while panning down the cons. Been there done that unfortunately. Lol.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,they had quite a set up there.I spent a day there back in 2011 ,I think they closed up for mining a couple years ago. 2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0021.JPG 2011_0422Mttohuntdeer4th0024.JPG

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You just never where you may find gold - I gave my son 5 acres at Treasure Valley to build on and he picked a spot on a ridge in the woods overlooking a pasture and the creek. I knew there was a few green ultramafic rocks that I had saw on the surface and to be sure it was not a hazardous site I contacted the local state Geologist to check it out with me and he gave his ok. When clearing of the house spot began larger ultramafic rocks were unearthed and behind where his house will sit I began noticing river rock on the ridge and began to follow it. Then decided to take a sample in the cobble and sure enough found a few flakes of gold then I decided to take a few more samples and the first 5 taken there were a few flakes of gold. The ancient stream was wide according to the river rocks and runs opposite from the current streams on the property. I'm going to post a picture while the clearing was going on, the old stream is above the equipment you see in the background and my tractor in the foreground along the remaining tree line.

View attachment 1884871

Does your son have gold fever like you? If so it may take longer than planned to build that house!

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, have 2 sons and at this point in their life neither is interested. This son deer hunts and is the local Sheriff and 2 small kids into sports so there's only so any hours in the day. However at their age I wasn't interested either, maybe when kids are grown and approaching retirement that may change and get the fever.

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last couple of days had some claim jumpers at son's new homesite, must have read my post. Here's a picture of one of them.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 7.17.57 PM.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions