Another mystery mineral in my pan....

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted one of these a while back and got some great help narrowing down potentials. I hope some of you guys can help again.

So this is coming from an outside bend. Lots of heavies. These white/gray globs or chunks are very heavy. Relatively soft but not fragile. Requires firm pressure with a blade to split. Some of the heaviest stuff in the pan. Does lead accrue naturally? Sorry no streak test yet.

Strange stuff. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 43A0246B-D2FC-42D8-AAB2-C9766C64A1CA.jpeg
    43A0246B-D2FC-42D8-AAB2-C9766C64A1CA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks to me like naturally occurring lead.

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mercury is heavy but almost like a liquid and mica could be this color and split but not heavy so this is a puzzle. Too small to be lead shot so don't know unless as DD said if lead is a natural occurrence where you're working.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep them separated from your clean gold as this looks like mercury contaminated gold to me.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead is significantly softer than gold.

Looks like fragments of lead to me...but it's hard to tell from a picture.
Should be bright white when scratched or cut.

Means your catching what your supposed to.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking gold with mercury on them also.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Native lead metal is "extremely rare" in nature. If you are finding this stuff in Ohio as your handle suggests then it is extremely doubtful that it is amalgam/mercury coated gold IMO. If found in a western state then that could be a different story.
That said IMAUDIGGER is probably correct and the pieces are weathered lead bullet fragments.

Last edited:

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Natural silver can form in clusters of needles. Looks sorta like pine needles and they are triangular in shape. The clusters break up leaving the individual curved needles which can have iron staining or if they tangle with some mercury they look silvery. Otherwise they are a dull grey. Fairly hard but also very brittle

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rotten automotive batteries make a terrible mess of lead fragments.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Native lead metal is "extremely rare" in nature. If you are finding this stuff in Ohio as your handle suggests then it is extremely doubtful that it is amalgam/mercury coated gold IMO. If found in a western state then that could be a different story.
That said IMAUDIGGER is probably correct and the pieces are weathered lead bullet fragments.

Mercury contaminated gold is found in the east too. New Hampshire has it where I prospect.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn’t considered the idea of a rotten battery. That’s a good one. This creek is unbelievably full of trash. It’s pretty disappointing really. Decent gold for Ohio, but tons of BS also. I doubt Mercury is an option. At least not in this kinda volume. No Ohio gold rush that I’m aware of.

That rotten battery idea is looking most plausible. I’ll separate some out and get some better info on it in a day or two.

Thanks gents.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It melts!!!

It’s a massive amount of lead. That poor, poor water way. Must have been a degraded battery.

Yuck!

Thanks for the input guys!

Attachments

• E1B9EF24-7A1B-4DE5-9F08-EB440267762B.png
    E1B9EF24-7A1B-4DE5-9F08-EB440267762B.png
    663.8 KB · Views: 67

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread