Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panning for silver quarters - nice! Look closely at the TR of trust to left of bust for evidence of the rare and valuable 1934 double die. The 34 - D is worth a small premium.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, sure, if you would give us an idea of the reverse too...we can't grade it but you might get idea of the value, by surfing the internet.
Retail for as-is might be low, but rarities are different. Whatever the spot value of silver, in weight, will be your determiner, huh?
Great Find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to get some polish. This is the best I could do with jewelry cleaner. Pretty slick.

Attachments

• 944C8FD0-D3B9-4FAA-9C5E-AA6A075A4F86.jpeg
    944C8FD0-D3B9-4FAA-9C5E-AA6A075A4F86.jpeg
    958.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 046E2032-BCA4-43B4-85D8-47C942600CF3.jpeg
    046E2032-BCA4-43B4-85D8-47C942600CF3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never know what you'll find panning, I've found everything from European pottery & stoneware to a clear quartz crystal Palmer arrowhead & Grey flint Point. Just always keep your eyes and thoughts open.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't polish it leave as is until you find out if it has any value more than just silver melt value, polishing it will scratch it up, the jewelry cleaner you used got it cleaned enough, anymore could take away from value if it does have error value.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in and pan in streams that are documented to have had tons of Indian activity and settlements, yet I have never found an arrow head. It’s nuts. I grew up in the woods and rivers, I still spend most of my free time in rivers and streams. I really don’t understand how I haven’t stumbled along anything. Thousands of classifiers of material and no artifacts.

Lots of barbed wire, glass and other genera bs.

Kinda baffling really.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a semi-thick paste with baking soda and water.Rub the coin between thumb & index.....It will clean up like new:)

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're in a really good area for old coins! I would totally recommend getting an Equinox 800 if you like finding old Silver. Fun detector to use.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in and pan in streams that are documented to have had tons of Indian activity and settlements, yet I have never found an arrow head. It’s nuts. I grew up in the woods and rivers, I still spend most of my free time in rivers and streams. I really don’t understand how I haven’t stumbled along anything. Thousands of classifiers of material and no artifacts.

Lots of barbed wire, glass and other genera bs.

Kinda baffling really.

Never mind not finding that stuff, keep your eyes peeled for unusually-chipped stones, ones that even the mechanical action of water and other stuff can't replicate.
Man-made stuff..., under control.
Look real hard at the artifacts that are commonly discovered/recovered in your area, then you should know what to expect.
The rock material that is been used, find it....!
Good luck, and happy hunting...!
You're a MINER - without showing id...! :laughing7:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a semi-thick paste with baking soda and water.Rub the coin between thumb & index.....It will clean up like new:)

This aggressive cleaning will remove any numismatic value from the coin. Be sure it is not a double die or even a D mint before you resort to such harsh cleaning.

My father used this technique to clean my coin collection when I was young and managed to destroy the coins I had put together - a complete set of Franklin halves in EF-AU, all the Washington quarters except for the 32-d and s. and all the Roosevelt dimes. I know he meant well, but that harsh cleaning destroyed my collection and I could not bear to look at them in that state. I continued to cull silver coins from circulation, but put them in jars, not albums, and hid them. I slowly spent the cleaned coins until their scrap value exceeded their face value and sold them all, unable to enjoy them.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This aggressive cleaning will remove any numismatic value from the coin. Be sure it is not a double die or even a D mint before you resort to such harsh cleaning.

My father used this technique to clean my coin collection when I was young and managed to destroy the coins I had put together - a complete set of Franklin halves in EF-AU, all the Washington quarters except for the 32-d and s. and all the Roosevelt dimes. I know he meant well, but that harsh cleaning destroyed my collection and I could not bear to look at them in that state. I continued to cull silver coins from circulation, but put them in jars, not albums, and hid them. I slowly spent the cleaned coins until their scrap value exceeded their face value and sold them all, unable to enjoy them.

The coin in question looks pretty beat-up in the pix.I used the same solution on a half,and see no destruction 140.JPG

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin in question would probably not ever be submitted to a grading service - with the possible exception if it was a rare '34 double die. But if submitted, every single grading service would return it with not only a "cleaned" description, but a "harshly cleaned" description - which is used for submitted coins that have undergone harsh treatments such as sandpaper, scour pads, steel wool (among others), buffing, and yes, thick baking soda paste. Most simple dips do not receive the "harshly cleaned" label.

The destruction is not of the physical coin itself but of its numismatic value and natural appearance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A fella here in Colorado was out with his sluice box and found a man's gold wedding band in the box.

Cool quarter, grats!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fella here in Colorado was out with his sluice box and found a man's gold wedding band in the box.

Cool quarter, grats!

Wow - those things really do find gold!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Normally I would call this bad advice, but that coin's already in poor condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread