1934 quarter found while panning.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: 1934 quarter found while panning.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

1934 quarter found while panning.

Sheís rough but cool as all get out. Anyone know anything about old quarters?

Worth more than the gold I usually find. Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3155793-3173-444D-BE76-9BF1048D8EDE.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	1885716  

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3795 times
    Panning for silver quarters - nice! Look closely at the TR of trust to left of bust for evidence of the rare and valuable 1934 double die. The 34 - D is worth a small premium.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3970 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah, sure, if you would give us an idea of the reverse too...we can't grade it but you might get idea of the value, by surfing the internet.
    Retail for as-is might be low, but rarities are different. Whatever the spot value of silver, in weight, will be your determiner, huh?
    Great Find!
    Ohiogoldfever and Reed Lukens like this.
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Need to get some polish. This is the best I could do with jewelry cleaner. Pretty slick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	944C8FD0-D3B9-4FAA-9C5E-AA6A075A4F86.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1885722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046E2032-BCA4-43B4-85D8-47C942600CF3.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	1885723  

us
    Hunter

May 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    2576 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ohiogoldfever and Halogen99 like this.

us
    Gold & Gem Prospector

Nov 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Fisher GBII
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Never know what you'll find panning, I've found everything from European pottery & stoneware to a clear quartz crystal Palmer arrowhead & Grey flint Point. Just always keep your eyes and thoughts open.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    5446 times
    Don't polish it leave as is until you find out if it has any value more than just silver melt value, polishing it will scratch it up, the jewelry cleaner you used got it cleaned enough, anymore could take away from value if it does have error value.
    back of the boat

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    I live in and pan in streams that are documented to have had tons of Indian activity and settlements, yet I have never found an arrow head. It’s nuts. I grew up in the woods and rivers, I still spend most of my free time in rivers and streams. I really don’t understand how I haven’t stumbled along anything. Thousands of classifiers of material and no artifacts.

Lots of barbed wire, glass and other genera bs.

Kinda baffling really.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    17076 times
    Make a semi-thick paste with baking soda and water.Rub the coin between thumb & index.....It will clean up like new

us
    Nov 2010
    High Rockies
    GB2
    260 times
    Silver find! Good job! It's worth about $4.35 in scrap silver!

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    363 times
    Sounds like you're in a really good area for old coins! I would totally recommend getting an Equinox 800 if you like finding old Silver. Fun detector to use.

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3970 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogoldfever View Post
    I live in and pan in streams that are documented to have had tons of Indian activity and settlements, yet I have never found an arrow head. Itís nuts. I grew up in the woods and rivers, I still spend most of my free time in rivers and streams. I really donít understand how I havenít stumbled along anything. Thousands of classifiers of material and no artifacts.

Lots of barbed wire, glass and other genera bs.

Kinda baffling really.
    Never mind not finding that stuff, keep your eyes peeled for unusually-chipped stones, ones that even the mechanical action of water and other stuff can't replicate.
    Man-made stuff..., under control.
    Look real hard at the artifacts that are commonly discovered/recovered in your area, then you should know what to expect.
    The rock material that is been used, find it....!
    Good luck, and happy hunting...!
    You're a MINER - without showing id...!
    arizau and Reed Lukens like this.
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3795 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Make a semi-thick paste with baking soda and water.Rub the coin between thumb & index.....It will clean up like new
    This aggressive cleaning will remove any numismatic value from the coin. Be sure it is not a double die or even a D mint before you resort to such harsh cleaning.

My father used this technique to clean my coin collection when I was young and managed to destroy the coins I had put together - a complete set of Franklin halves in EF-AU, all the Washington quarters except for the 32-d and s. and all the Roosevelt dimes. I know he meant well, but that harsh cleaning destroyed my collection and I could not bear to look at them in that state. I continued to cull silver coins from circulation, but put them in jars, not albums, and hid them. I slowly spent the cleaned coins until their scrap value exceeded their face value and sold them all, unable to enjoy them.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 13, 2020 at 05:50 PM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    17076 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    This aggressive cleaning will remove any numismatic value from the coin. Be sure it is not a double die or even a D mint before you resort to such harsh cleaning.

My father used this technique to clean my coin collection when I was young and managed to destroy the coins I had put together - a complete set of Franklin halves in EF-AU, all the Washington quarters except for the 32-d and s. and all the Roosevelt dimes. I know he meant well, but that harsh cleaning destroyed my collection and I could not bear to look at them in that state. I continued to cull silver coins from circulation, but put them in jars, not albums, and hid them. I slowly spent the cleaned coins until their scrap value exceeded their face value and sold them all, unable to enjoy them.
    The coin in question looks pretty beat-up in the pix.I used the same solution on a half,and see no destruction Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	1886219
    Ohiogoldfever likes this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3795 times
    The coin in question would probably not ever be submitted to a grading service - with the possible exception if it was a rare '34 double die. But if submitted, every single grading service would return it with not only a "cleaned" description, but a "harshly cleaned" description - which is used for submitted coins that have undergone harsh treatments such as sandpaper, scour pads, steel wool (among others), buffing, and yes, thick baking soda paste. Most simple dips do not receive the "harshly cleaned" label.

The destruction is not of the physical coin itself but of its numismatic value and natural appearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links