Urban gold prospecting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Urban gold prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Urban gold prospecting

Weathers cold, the creek is colder.

Anyone else do any urban prospecting to pass the time?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37A16D4D-ADC4-4798-9FDA-E8029885289E.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	1887216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0E4634F2-6419-4FF7-AB48-63C19A4D0AA5.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	1887217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B41C646A-6BFD-44E7-AF86-C641EC3B503F.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	1887218  
    RTR, minerjosh, Gold4Mike and 3 others like this.

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Nobody! Holy crap. Beats waiting out the cold weather or god forbid buying gold in bags of dirt. This controller looks like it may yield 10-15 grams.

Plus who doesn’t like taking things apart that you don’t have to put back together! Haha.

Jul 2006
    arizona
    gpx5000 gp extreme gold bug 2 nokta simplex
    363 times
    i have been collecting for about 15 years and have a full 5 gallon bucket.
    for some reason people like to take their old electronics out to the desert,
    shoot it and leave it out there. i used to shoot alot and started picking up the gold parts and chips.
    the old penteum pro chips had a lot of gold in them.
    many years ago i refined with aqua regia a little and made this .999 fine button.
    260 grains.
    if your doing it for money, just sell the parts at an auction site as scrap gold.
    if you are tring to recover the gold i hope you have a lab with a hood vent, scrubber and a way to
    deal with the toxic waste.
    ar is no joke, one one whiff and your lungs will be trash.
    sell it as scrap, its a lot of work and Hassle. really think about it.
    oh and also you will probably end up on a government watch list if you start googling how to make the
    chemicals you need for refining. HNO3 can make some interesting things.

Name:	20201221_142413 (3).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	955.0 KB 
ID:	1887735  

us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    74 times
    Try the Iodine leaching method,no acids and it does work.Check out Moosescrappers videos for some methods that only use Muriatic acid,they work too.Lots of ways to do this without the Nitric,may be a little slower but lots safer too.I don,t really care if I,m on a watch list,probably on some already,only hazard to any Govt.investigators is they might die of boredom looking at my life!
    Last edited by crashbandicoot; Dec 21, 2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Reed Lukens and Ohiogoldfever like this.

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    I agree, AR is some nasty stuff. I’m mostly collecting stuff at this point but very well may set up to toll refine as I know a guy local to me.

It’s a hobby gig just like panning the creek. Easier to find gold in electronics than it is in the creek. At least here in Ohio.

Trick is finding the right scrap.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5032 times
    The BEST gold I ever got was from pre-1966 telephone equipment. back then they used 24 K gold and it went on heavy !! The old phone relay's were the best ! Big globs of gold for contacts. I also got a lot of silver from wore out hi-power / high voltage switch gear. That was a once in a life time find !

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Gotta love the old stuff! When gold was cheap! Bigger the glob, the betta the job.
    Reed Lukens and russau like this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1587 times
    Naval electronics are heavy on the gold. Just be careful with scrapping the power transistors, as they use amalgam to hold the silicon die down.

I go after gold plate on ceramics with HCl and bleach. Some of that plating can be thick. I have a bunch to do, but would rather save my P100 acid filters for Covid right now!

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Iíll have to do some digging on the naval electronics. Iím pretty land locked so thatís a factor.

Anyone know a place to look for old testing equipment? Oscilloscopes or other vintage stuff? eBay is pretty hit or miss unfortunately.

On another note. Hereís 450 grams of heavily plated pins.

Name:	7D329046-B994-46E6-BE2A-665A27B9E797.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	1888008  

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Equinox 600 Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1974 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aviation contact materials.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	1888033

I'll see your 450g and raise ya This was part of 51 lbs of material I recently sent in and comes in at about 2g a pound. Take's a lot of work and time but it pays well.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Hot damn! Nice pile!

You say send in? You send out to a refiner? I’m curious to know who you’d use and what toll costs are.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Equinox 600 Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1974 times
    Yes I use a refiner because I'm not going to get involved in all the equipment involved, or chem's, but I have to get a lot of material up before it can be accepted. Minimum of 40 lbs of clean high grade material (my material is mostly milspec), 200 lbs if your doing circuit board stuff to be profitable. Cost's varies and is taken out of the settlement~ Assay, processing, environmental, office fee's~ then there's their cut for metals, the refiner I'm using pays for and keeps this percentage on the following metals : AU 10%, AG 20%, PD 25% and CU 25%. That's pretty typical. I'm not going to say who I use because I feel its a good idea for anyone looking to do this to do the research. Its eye opening and good to know info. My out of pocket cost has been shipping but with larger quantities I could get reimbursed.
    Ohiogoldfever and russau like this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    66 times
    Thanks for all the info. I surly understand your not wanting to pass along a name. I doubt I’ll be amassing enough to meet the requirements anytime soon anyhow.

I enjoy just pottering away at it. I may set up and refine as I get the time. Looks like a fun new hobby as long as done carefully. I hope to meet up with a local guy to do some hands on learning. He’s got more than a decade in refining so I’m sure I can learn a thing or two.
    DDancer likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    1974 times
    I find it a good way to pass time as well as make a buck in the urban mines Have fun.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11125 times
    Prospecting
    Iíve done a bit of this using HCl (pool acid) which is cheap and works very well if one is patient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links