Gold Paydirt sold online, why do people do this?

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods the gold is extremely fine. For mutiple years the only course gold we could find cane from gold hog paydirt, but as we gained experienced and learned we were able to find our own big gold, but I have nothing but great things to say about paydirt. If your gold is buried in snow like It is here for 7 months out of the year, being able to order some gold (sugared or not) is a great thing.

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I first started prospecting I bought paydirt regularly... was a good way to practice, test equipment, and helped me to find real gold in the streams. I still buy 4 bags a year... one for myself.. and 3 for dad. Christmas, fathers day, and birthday as add on presents.

Paulo

Oct 13, 2019
West Toast
Detector(s) used
HF-9, X-Ray Vision (1st gen), LDDS-1x (lawn dart dowsing system)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The ROI on paydirt is always below unity; might as well quantify the value of a live concert or weekend getaway. It amuses me when I see that term even mentioned.

I imagine, the good ones find a way to balance the customer's experience and expectations with profit. I am only speculating but I have a feeling that 'the good ones' are probably the exception. Especially with the deluge of Abbazon sellers that game the system with MLM-style compensated reviews and rotating accounts.

For me, at first, the very concept seemed like the dumbest thing ever but I later thought about how it might be a neat way to 'scratch that itch' when circumstances prevent actual expeditions. Or maybe a low risk way to get the family interesting in the action. Then, when you do go out, they'll have a head start of sorts.

I dunno, people often do far more things costly with their money.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a family vacation to AK about 15 years ago, we stopped at a gold mine tourist trap. They had a well polished operation that included a narrow gauge train ride, sluice demo with everyone in costume. THe final part was a walk to the panning troughs. They handed each of us a bag of dirt and a cheap pan. I have been panning for 50 years and have trained my boys well. When the bag was done we started scooping off the bottom of the trough. The exit from the panning area was thru the gift shop (brilliant) and they would weigh the gold. You could keep it or they would buy it from you. The 4 of us walked out with about 5 grams, they said they never saw anyone get so much :headbang:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a family vacation to AK about 15 years ago, we stopped at a gold mine tourist trap. They had a well polished operation that included a narrow gauge train ride, sluice demo with everyone in costume. THe final part was a walk to the panning troughs. They handed each of us a bag of dirt and a cheap pan. I have been panning for 50 years and have trained my boys well. When the bag was done we started scooping off the bottom of the trough. The exit from the panning area was thru the gift shop (brilliant) and they would weigh the gold. You could keep it or they would buy it from you. The 4 of us walked out with about 5 grams, they said they never saw anyone get so much :headbang:

My summer gig is teaching kids how to pan at a "dude" ranch. I usually finish off the kid's pans so they get the most gold. But I always pan the bottom at the start of each day. I just put the gold in a vial and give it to one of the kids.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

We went to that place! Sadly there was a torrential downpour so they were closed [emoji22]

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, you pay say $20 for a bag. Did you get $20 worth of fun / practice from that bag? Then any amount of gold would be a little icing on the top. Take that gold, put it in a seven dollar jewelry finding on a chain and for $27 you've had some fun / practice and a Christmas present that'll light up a kids eyes. Aannd! You've still got a bagful you can salt & make more presents with!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread