Gold Paydirt sold online, why do people do this?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[FONT=&quot]“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.” - P.T. Barnum[/FONT]

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Year's back I did buy some "bagged gold " BEFORE I got my feet wet ! BUT how can someone "GARRENTEE " some "unsearched gold" ???? YEP just a little "unsearched " that get's me !!:BangHead: .......... Rather than buying this "unsearched" gold ,why not make your own with local gravels and dirt and SAVE a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$$$ ! There is plenty of places /website's / club's that will sell you their finds !

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This your hardly gonna get rich. They are either preying in the unknowing and wishful thinking and maybe just more of a novelty for a kid who doesn’t have the area to look for gold and gives them a sense of it and finding whatever small amount planted in it would prolly make kid smile. Seeing this I know some kids who would have loved to have gotten something like this. Not because I think you’d get rich but because the child’s thrill of the hunt like anything else we venture into metal detecting or gold panning.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I knew a gent in the Barstow ca. area that used to bag and
sell "pay dirt".

He did dig and classify the dirt, and it was from a claim that
did indeed hold a fair amount of placer gold. As he bagged it,
he'd add a preset amount of gold into the mix, as he never
wanted a customer to be unhappy.

When I get the itch to do some panning, I just head out
to a spot that's produced gold in the past, and classify
a couple of 5 gal bucketful's and bring it home.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a story some years back about a school teacher in Oklahoma that was teaching a class about mining. His spiel to the class was the old adage, "gold is where you find it."
He went to Home Depot and bought several bags of sand, and had the class pan it out. Lo' and behold they found some flour gold. Of course the gold specks would never cover the cost of the sand, BUT it was fun for the students, and a lesson learned. That's what counts.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a sucker tube to clean off the bedrock at my claim. Took a 5 gallon bucket home, bagged it and sent it for the cost of a flat rate box. I wasn't selling for profit and I wasn't guaranteeing anything. Most of the bags had some gold and one had a nice picker in it.

What's funny is I had to mover two feet of gravels off that bedrock through the highbanker first. That gravel produced about a gram and a half per yard. I guess you just never know.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought some of that dirt several years ago - got a pinch (and only a pinch) of gold out of the bag.

Won't be wasting money on another one.....

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a story some years back about a school teacher in Oklahoma that was teaching a class about mining. His spiel to the class was the old adage, "gold is where you find it."
He went to Home Depot and bought several bags of sand, and had the class pan it out. Lo' and behold they found some flour gold. Of course the gold specks would never cover the cost of the sand, BUT it was fun for the students, and a lesson learned. That's what counts.

That "old adage" is a mistaken interpretation of a line in the bible. Job 28:1---"Surely there is a vein for the silver, and a place for gold where they fine it." Where they fine it means where gold is refined, it had nothing to do with finding it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "old adage" is a mistaken interpretation of a line in the bible. Job 28:1---"Surely there is a vein for the silver, and a place for gold where they fine it." Where they fine it means where gold is refined, it had nothing to do with finding it.

And yet, I always get gold where I find it. :icon_thumright:
But then, I never get gold where I dont find it. :icon_scratch:

One thing for sure though, all that glitters is not gold. :tongue3:

GG~

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some people that were wheelchair bound and not able to get to places to prospect, buying bags of dirt and I think they just wanted the memories of times past. Hopefully the buckets and bags were seeded to at least give them a thrill.

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want guaranteed gold in your bag of paydirt, I will recommend Roaring Camp's "Dirt of the Month Club". I use it for my summertime gig teaching kids to pan at a local resort. I can estimate at least 1 gram gold per 10 pound bag. Also if you're planning a visit to California's central Mother Lode area, Check out there mining adventures www.roaringcampgold.com

OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a sucker tube to clean off the bedrock at my claim. Took a 5 gallon bucket home, bagged it and sent it for the cost of a flat rate box. I wasn't selling for profit and I wasn't guaranteeing anything. Most of the bags had some gold and one had a nice picker in it.

What's funny is I had to mover two feet of gravels off that bedrock through the highbanker first. That gravel produced about a gram and a half per yard. I guess you just never know.

Is it even profitable to sell online? Ebay and paypal fees are already 20% now plus the cost of shipping which is at least $15 to $20

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have an operating mine and rent cabins. It's a kind of dude ranch for prospectors. Plus they produce some other equipment that they sell. Check the website for more details. I used to be a retailer for their equipment so while biased, I wouldn't sell or use something that wasn't tried and true. I've know the family there since the 80's and my family is represented there every year since.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it even profitable to sell online? Ebay and paypal fees are already 20% now plus the cost of shipping which is at least $15 to $20

Roaring Camp only sells from their site, and authorized retailers. They ship in USPS flat rate boxes. If you have interest give Tammy in the office a call. Tell her Mike Phillips sent you.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m happy to sell you buckets and buckets of I searched pay dirt from my spots. 100% to have gold, and will absolutely make me money if it’s more than 5 bucks a bag.

Our ground is pretty poor but it’s still a blast.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paydirt on line is mainly for people wanting to practice and others that either can't get out and pan or don't live where there's gold. Now I once won some Paydirt on a show that was great! Every fifth bag they sell has extra gold and I lucked up and got one. Even if I had bought it I would have profited.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought a little through time. Once I got some from Georgia and it had a pretty good sized nugget in it. I do it because I get bored.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have bought a little through time. Once I got some from Georgia and it had a pretty good sized nugget in it. I do it because I get bored.

Same here, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy it online
when I can find gold on my own beach, or worst case I drive
10 miles to a spot with better, larger gold....well, not too big
but flakes are typically around 30 mesh vs. 60 mesh on the
river.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've sold quite a bit of paydirt.

twenty years ago I worked at a panning concession in Ak. we sold paydirt for ten bucks a bag to pan it.

It was from a placer mine near fairbanks filled the bags from under a grizzly myself. it was bagged "un searched"

after you panned it if you wanted to keep the gold we dried it weighed it and sold it to you for spot.

There were fines pickers and even a few pennyweight nuggets I saw over the summer.

We had thousands of people pay for the gold cause they just couldn't part with it after panning it .

Spot was like $280 that summer.

We would pan the troughs on our down time. The tourits were using metal pand unclassified minus 2" material. they were for the most part first time panners.

I almost filled a film canister with gold ..film canister remember those :laughing7: just under five ounces from what people missed. Sold it at a pawn shop in Tahoe when I moved there the following winter.

Considering the increase in spot It would be nice to have.. But I sell gold so, its hard to keep around.

Paydirt I sell now will come with cons that do have fines cause I dont feel like panning it down. Plus added plus 20 mesh with a gauranteed weight to the customer.

People love it they arent stupid or weird for liking it.

IT SUPPORTS SMALL SCALE MINING!!!!!!!!

And unlike money spent on say a vacation...or Disneyland if you hold onto it it will go up in value.

Most people who buy paydirt. would have to shell out hundreds of dollars (or more) to experience panning gold let alone the time and money it takes 98% of newbies to even get a gram of gold.(if they ever do)

and don't give me the "just by gold on ebay and put it in your own dirt " nonsense either.

That is not why people by paydirt.

It may be small and "fake" but, they still want the "adventure"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread