Bounty hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
YEP this happens in the desert also from heavy rains miles away from you and it DONT give you any warning it's comeing untill it's right on you ! You were very fortunate that all you lost was your sluice full of gold. Your alive and the gold & sluice can be replaced easily ! That is a great looking spot to do your digging !!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news...that's what moves gold :)

OP
OP
T

The_fishingfool

Greenie
Jan 13, 2021
USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YEP this happens in the desert also from heavy rains miles away from you and it DONT give you any warning it's comeing untill it's right on you ! You were very fortunate that all you lost was your sluice full of gold. Your alive and the gold & sluice can be replaced easily ! That is a great looking spot to do your digging !!

Not to mention this water was probably 5-10 degrees above Freezing but the air was in the mid 70s. You have to respect the river or she will try to kill you.

OP
OP
T

The_fishingfool

Greenie
Jan 13, 2021
USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That made me go back and look at some of the pictures from that day. This is that crevice But after the water had risen IMG_8965.jpg . (not pictured)The water came up another 4ft up the bank from that before I hiked out.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Floods are variable , some will strip the gold from a gravel bar, others will cover the gold with many feet of silt but on a rare occasion the river will deposit new gold. Those type of floods are rare and
I have experienced such a flood and I am still mining the results of that flood. the 1995 flood here in Washington state lasted over a month, before the flood finding gold was hard, after the flood well I got over 2lbs. of gold and a lot of others did well too. When looking at floods you want see a high flood but a very slow gradual flow reduction taking weeks to recede to normal flow.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Floods are variable , some will strip the gold from a gravel bar, others will cover the gold with many feet of silt but on a rare occasion the river will deposit new gold. Those type of floods are rare and
I have experienced such a flood and I am still mining the results of that flood. the 1995 flood here in Washington state lasted over a month, before the flood finding gold was hard, after the flood well I got over 2lbs. of gold and a lot of others did well too. When looking at floods you want see a high flood but a very slow gradual flow reduction taking weeks to recede to normal flow.

Don't know where you go but where I go the gold is located above the creek on mountain sides.And the only way it gets to the creek is... Heavy Rains.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where I'm at now I am not particularly concerned with high water adding more gold more that it usually just hinders my previous work. I used to be active in a club down south that had a claim below a power station and the water level would change randomly I lost a few things there, I almost lost a sluice there that I lent to some cheechakos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions