How to get started ?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practically free except transportation!

If you are in gold country, you will find used mining pans for $5 or less at yard sales.
Grab a couple recycled 5 gallon buckets (make sure they don’t have oil on them).

Around your yard or garage, you probably have a digging bar..an old screwdriver you can heat up and pound down into a crevicing tool. Single jack for busting bedrock (look that one up if you need to)...a hand chisel...then fashion a screen out of some sheet metal and a scrap of wire mesh.

Seriously. If you want to prospect..that means lots of sampling and panning.

Of course a pick and shovel (those can be picked up at yard sales as well). Most people these days think a shovel is just for picking up dog poop.

If you don’t want to take the time to learn how to determine ownership of mining claims, use the bulk of your savings to buy a membership in one of those mining clubs.

That will get you started.

If you have the skills and some basic wood tools, a nice functional sluice can be made out of scrap wood, junk carpet and some screws out of an old jar in the shop.

Of course you could just “do it right the first time” and buy commercial mining tools.
Gold’s heavy and is not that difficult to catch.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
look for a club near you and they will till you the best way to find gold,panning,detecting,drywashering,sluice.and they should have claims that you can go to.it all comes back to panning.so get a pan buy some gold and practice at home, before you waste time and money going out.you and get enough for 25 to 50 dollar.
good luck have fun
brad

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m in central Pennsylvania, lots of coal around here but it ain’t worth much.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it cost to get busy gold prospecting ? I have about $ 1200.00 saved up.

List of Penn. Counties that have gold here>> https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/goinpe.html
And you don't need much a few hundred dollars will do,stuff like this... 001.JPG

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
INTERESTED in prospecting ? Well the first thing you need to learn about is minerology and the mining laws of our Nation and the state your going to be mining in . 1637's recommendation to join a club is a great idea and I've done just that when I go to different states . This is a real heads up way to meet some life long friends and have a known place to go! DO NOT GO OUT AND IMMEDIATLY START BUYING EQUIPMENT that you may find out you don't need or possibly want. Good Luck on you new adventure !

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than $20 bucks.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't need much to get started looking, a pan, some digging tools and a snuffer bottle, you don't actually need a snuffer bottle but they are awfully handy for around 3 bucks. You can worry about sluice boxes and all the other stuff later, first thing you need to learn to pan like a pro to work down sample pans as fast as possible, you can practice in a tub, use two similar sized pans you put one at the bottom of the tub as a "safety pan" pan out your material directly above to catch the tailings to re pan. Research is key to finding gold rich spots to investigate, seek out where gold has been found before in your target area.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hobby!!! First things first. Expensive equipment can’t catch gold that’s not there! Get your pans (Garett’s super sluice is a favorite) a small shovel, classifier and snuffer. Get out and get your feet wet. Literally. If you find good gold then you can feel confident that a high dollar machine can help you get returns. Until then just pan and explore.

I find my best returns are the 6:00am sun rise behind the steaming water of the creek I’m standing in while the birds chirp in the distance. The gold is cool too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread