Any MLRS Experts Yet??

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've been waiting for this day to come for quite awhile (MLRS Launch Day). I thought I would finally be able to access Location Certs. and Claim Maps (Colorado) on my own. I've been holding off on bugging the BLM for several COL's because I thought that today was my day.

So far I don't see any new documents that I couldn't get here and there before. It looks like a much more integrated system, but nothing new.....unless I'm overlooking something????

I could usually narrow Placer Claim locations down to Quarter Sections between data from LR2000 and GLO. So far it doesn't look like I do better than that (nothing exact) ...and no Claim Maps.

It also won't send me e-mail confirmation for registration and BLM isn't answering the phone today (no surprise there).

Anyone else have better luck, or figure out something that I've overlooked?

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you are looking for isn't there. The BLM only has case files. The MLRS didn't change that.

If you want actual mining claim location notices and maps you will need to contact the County Recorder's office in the County where the claim is located. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you are looking for isn't there. The BLM only has case files. The MLRS didn't change that.

If you want actual mining claim location notices and maps you will need to contact the County Recorder's office in the County where the claim is located. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

I've tried to get location certs and claim maps through the two counties that I have claims in and that I hunt down new claims in (Clear Creek and Gilpin). I have never been able to get a single such document through them. I'm always referred to the BLM and then it's usually a week or so before I get my doc's. I thought MLRS was going to get me over this ridiculous hurdle.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've tried to get location certs and claim maps through the two counties that I have claims in and that I hunt down new claims in (Clear Creek and Gilpin). I have never been able to get a single such document through them. I'm always referred to the BLM and then it's usually a week or so before I get my doc's. I thought MLRS was going to get me over this ridiculous hurdle.

I've never had a problem getting those in Colorado. Colorado has a law that County Recorder's have to produce public records within 3 days when requested.

Colorado is a little behind on internet records but they are inexpensive.
25 cents a page in little Gilpin County. HERE is a link to the PDF form to request records from Gilpin County.
Easy online records search in Clear Creek County.

Heavy Pans

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
played with the maps, have to zoom way in, had to go back out a few times to create an account before they would send a code
if you want to search like the old LR2000 looks the same
https://reports.blm.gov/reports/MLRS

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heavy Pans

I really really offended a fella and was called stupid when I told him that wasn't BLM's job. That there will never be a realtime interactive claim map resource showing actual claims.

He shared a picture of a claim map his friend made..and told me if his friend could do it so could BLM.

I mentioned Landmatters and he said that if you can't do it. it is because you suck to Barry.

Cause you know he builds websites and stuff:laughing7:

Funny thing in the picture one of the claims was a skinny rectangle like a gulch claim. So, I looked up the claim it's not even described like it was on his shared overlay.

Oh, experts:laughing9:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems the MLRS map is not working today. Mining claims won't load.

Land Matters maps were updated last night to link to the new MLRS serial register pages. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Hi Clay, i singed up with the new MLRS. I created my log in stuff but when i tried to look up my claim it seemed to not work:icon_scratch: unless i am doing something wrong. Going to try it right now see where i get.Ok i logged in and went to "My Claims" and i don't get it, somethings not working. Clay can you see if its working ?

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The MLRS mapping has been down most of the week. It's partially up now but the links to the serial register page have been taken off the map information.
Hopefully they will get it working correctly soon.

In the meantime you can get the information on your claim directly through the Land Matters Mining Claim maps. There is a direct link to today's Serial Register page on the Land Matters map. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have used the BLM MLRS map system quite a bit.

MyLandMatters maps are far superior and are my go-to for mining claim research. I occasionally send a donation to MyLandMatters.org and encourage all of us to do so. They have a great product!

Chuck

Minerrick1

Greenie
Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been waiting for this day to come for quite awhile (MLRS Launch Day). I thought I would finally be able to access Location Certs. and Claim Maps (Colorado) on my own. I've been holding off on bugging the BLM for several COL's because I thought that today was my day.

I was hopeful that the MLRS would be much better than previous incarnations, but alas.... it appears not. As a matter of fact, I think it will vastly complicate the mining claiming process to cause infinite confusion. Here is what I noticed:

1. The stock map that you open up to on the new "Geocommunicator" shows the CLOSED CLAIMS in a region as the standard layer. If someone who wasn't privy to doing searches on these maps didn't know any better, that particular map would show that the whole N. Fork of the Yuba River is OPEN. Only after you dink around adjusting maps and layers do you find that you can turn off the closed layer and turn on the Active Layer. I am afraid anyone not privy to the whole mapping thing, won't understand what they are seeing, so plan on a lot of overfiles on premium CLAIMED properties. I emailed the BLM and suggested that the opening map be ACTIVE CLAIMS, not closed claims.

2. The actual "locations" of the mining claims are only noted down to the quarter section, which means if you are looking for spaces between claims, you will STILL need to go to the recorder's office to make that determination.

3. The stock map when you open the mapping program is the BLM map, which in Sierra County, CA ranges from 300 feet south and 100 feet east of the same section boundaries as the USGS Maps. And to my knowledge, the USGS maps are the "legal" maps for mapping your claims. So if someone sees the BLM map and sees open ground on it, chances are that the map may be off of the USGS map boundaries by a large expanse. More confusion. I again emailed the BLM and told them that they should have the USGS map as the stock map. I also think they should have a place in the location document that states what map the locator is using in order to determine if there is a possibility of error.

4. In the records section, they have added a whole bunch of different check boxes other the Active and Closed. Again if someone is looking for open ground, it appear the search only ACTIVE claims will cause errors, because apparently documents which have been filed for the current year may be in the "Filed" or "Submitted" category, but not in the Active one. I was looking for some of my own claims, and couldn't find ANY in the Active page. Instant freak out. So when looking for Active claims, it looks like you have to click every box except "Closed" to find out what is active and what is not.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was hopeful that the MLRS would be much better than previous incarnations, but alas.... it appears not. As a matter of fact, I think it will vastly complicate the mining claiming process to cause infinite confusion. Here is what I noticed:

3. The stock map when you open the mapping program is the BLM map, which in Sierra County, CA ranges from 300 feet south and 100 feet east of the same section boundaries as the USGS Maps. And to my knowledge, the USGS maps are the "legal" maps for mapping your claims. So if someone sees the BLM map and sees open ground on it, chances are that the map may be off of the USGS map boundaries by a large expanse. More confusion. I again emailed the BLM and told them that they should have the USGS map as the stock map. I also think they should have a place in the location document that states what map the locator is using in order to determine if there is a possibility of error.

The USGS map is not a "legal" map to rely on and never has been. The USGS maps are based on an old and often inaccurate PLSS system that was abandoned in 2008. There have been two new PLSS systems since then and neither are the "legal" definition of where the TRS divisions are located. The actual survey pins in the ground are the "legal" definition of survey corners, any mapping system can only indicate where those corners might be. When the rubber meets the road the actual survey pin or monument location on the ground is what determines where a surveyed line lies. Maps can get you close but relying on any map to determine actual Section line locations is a fail.

The "old" PLSS found on the USGS maps is often as much as a quarter mile off from the actual surveyed line. The "new" CadNSDI PLSS is much more accurate but still should only be relied on to get you close. Here's an example of the sometimes extreme difference between the USGS mapping and the new more accurate CadNSDI PLSS in an area you are probably familiar with.
Land Matters Show Me a Map

I've been studying the new MLRS sample database and I can tell you your complaints are only the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of issues that weren't resolved before this system went public. The "new" MLRS has been in development since 2014 and wasn't scheduled to be made public until this summer. Why it was rushed into service so quickly is probably more of a political decision rather than a scheduled release.

I'll post more here about these issues when the BLM finally releases an actual working copy of the new database. At present they don't even have documentation available much less a working database. :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread