Filling a S.M.W. versus paying full claim Maintenance fees - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Filling a S.M.W. versus paying full claim Maintenance fees

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    3 claims above mine were refiled and resold on ebay several times over 6 years by this flipper, the claim next to mine according to the BLM has 2 owners now, feel sorry for them. My claim on the N.Fork of the Salmon river borders the Eddy Gulch complex where over a million ounces were pulled out. Good luck on your way that you trust that keeps your claims safe, I will continue to do my my way, we miners are a stubborn lot, LOL
    I hate claim flippers.

I don't need luck we are well documented. We assert our possesion and have the law on our side. Hopefully land stautus stays the same in your area. Because if Uncle Sam decides to change it you could very well lose your holding regardless of how much you have paid in rental fees.

Being on any major river in N. Ca. or Oregon I would be very nervous of losing my claims having only held them on paper as far as the man is concerned. Thats ground zero for screwing miners out of their ground via politcal wind shifts.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    I hate claim flippers.

I don't need luck we are well documented. We assert our possesion and have the law on our side. Hopefully land stautus stays the same in your area. Because if Uncle Sam decides to change it you could very well lose your holding regardless of how much you have paid in rental fees.

Being on any major river in N. Ca. or Oregon I would be very nervous of losing my claims having only held them on paper as far as the man is concerned. Thats ground zero for screwing miners out of their ground via politcal wind shifts.
    All true but I think the SMW is going to be canceled , I know people that file it to save money but have not done the proper work or have not been down to there claims, that is the difference . SMW's are abused all the time. SMW's are a uncertainty to the blm and are treated that way thus not given priority to post status of those claims versus those who pay full maintenance fees.
    Clay Diggins and Reed Lukens like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11703 times
    Prospecting
    All true but I think the SMW is going to be canceled , I know people that file it to save money but have not done the proper work or have not been down to there claims, that is the difference . SMW's are abused all the time. SMW's are a uncertainty to the blm and are treated that way thus not given priority to post status of those claims versus those who pay full maintenance fees.
    It's true that some small miners do not do the required labor. That's something the BLM is tasked with investigating and enforcing as an agency. They used to do it quite a bit. When they found claims without obvious development work related to their work affidavit they would send a 30 day notice to provide verifiable proof or pay up. That's the procedure they should be following. The reasons they no longer do that are part of a much bigger problem.

The BLM's internal regulations state they must update case status changes (like SMW filings) within 5 days. Blaming their lack of attention to their job on some imaginary priority of fee payment versus small miner's labor shows a misunderstanding of the BLM's role and responsibilities regarding mining claims. Blaming a few miners lack of honesty about labor for the BLM's shortcomings is counterproductive in my opinion. Small Miner Waivers represent a very very small percentage of mining claim filings.

As Goldwasher has been hinting at there are very good reasons to perform and record your annual labor whether you pay maintenance fees or not. He's right to point this out but in the end whether there is a SMW available or not evidence of labor should be one of the priorities of any serious claim owner. Maybe sometime we can explore that important subject in it's own thread.

I'll be addressing some of the problems the BLM has been having with their mining program in the next few days. Those problems are creating a much bigger impact on miners than fear of the SMW waiver going away or the few SMW filers who don't perform labor. Congress can take away the SMW or even put an end to new mining claims. I think that is unlikely for a bunch of reasons but there is change in the wind and blaming miners for any of the BLM's problems would play right into the hands of those who would like to see an end to mining (until they need a phone, car, highway, electricity, clothing, refrigerator, medical care, heating, cooling, food or a house).

I guess my point is if we don't learn to hang together we will more than likely end up being hung alone.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Feb 28, 2021 at 01:35 AM.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    Amen to that Barry ! And thanks for all of your effort in helping us to keep us on the straight and narrow !

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep.
    269 times
    Prospecting
    First I always pay full Maintenances on my 3 claims, expensive but the claims do pay for themselves, I have been on MY Land Matters and something new is happening, All the claims around my 3 are not updated for 2021 except mine, all read as 2020 .If you filed a SMW check with the BLM because some idiot may take this as your claim may be open for filing, it has happened before.
    What is an "SMW"?
    Reed Lukens likes this.
    The view is always better with 500 feet of air under your buttocks.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11703 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ncclaymaker View Post
    What is an "SMW"?
    SMALL MINER WAIVER
    https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...aiver-info.pdf
    Reed Lukens and russau like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11221 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ncclaymaker View Post
    What is an "SMW"?
    Small
    Minerís
    Waiver

A way to maintain your claim at very minimal annual cost.
    russau and ncclaymaker like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links