Steep Cliffs, Narrow Roads and Good Gold on the South Yuba River Tyler Foote Crossing

The_fishingfool

Greenie
Jan 13, 2021
USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

On this adventure my son and I take a drive down a steep one lane canyon road.

We decided we would visit a river we have never been too. The only experience we have with the Yuba river is watching videos of others panning, sluicing and generally having a great time.

After hours of time spent scouring google maps and looking for remote yet passible roads to get to stretches of the river that not been worked as hard.

I came across a road that perked my interest. Tyler Foote Crossing.

The road was originally built to connect two mines.

I wanted to show the entire drive because this is a trip that most people will never actually choose to drive down because of either vehicle limitations or shear will.

There are parts of this road that make your heart race just sitting in the car.

This is not a road I would encourage you taking a vehicle with limited clearance.

The Road does not require 4WD to get to the river and back.

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool video, thanks for posting, enjoyed the ride in :) Beautiful spot at the river there.Next time how bout moving some of those boulders ?:)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Great video ! If you like driveing on those steep sided roads , Try the road out of Columbia , Ca. down to the gpaa claim by Pine Log & other gpaa claims near by ! I was out there about 35 years ago.

OP
OP
T

The_fishingfool

Greenie
Jan 13, 2021
USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wanted to show the whole ride because most people can't make it down those roads or wouldn't want to. So at least you can do it from your computer without being banged around in a truck. I will have to check that place out on google maps and find out if its doable for me.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only area that can't be claimed where you were is just below or downstream from the bridge... The Italian or the Cornish Stonemasons were brought in - to hang or build the road out from the side of the cliff and all of the rock work that you see was done by hand like you said. The rock was brought in from the mines above and there is low grade gold bearing quartz built into that road. That road and the way it was hung over the canyon by the Cornish Stonemason's is one of our greatest local landmarks :)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo... O'Brien,,as an improved transportation route.

It's really easy to research where you want to mine on Landmatters - Welcome to Land Matters

Though I was shaking my head at where you chose to mine, it's only because I know the area and the area that you were panning on is claimed even though you can't see the markers. That was a good informational video on the Middle Fork/ Tyler Foote Crossing :icon_thumleft:

And it was good to see you and your family out having a blast :)

20210302_095143.jpg

OP
OP
T

The_fishingfool

Greenie
Jan 13, 2021
USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new to prospecting so any information helps thanks

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to prospecting so any information helps thanks

Move those boulders ! Dig down under them ,classify,and pan (or sluice) the material,the bigger the Boulders the better.
This is all you need ,and a 5-6 ft crow/pry bar :) >> 001.JPG
Lots of u-tube vids on it. 003.JPG 007.JPG

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works :) ! Probably because most people don't want to fool with them 013.JPG

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the ride. I'll take that road before the asphalt any day, especially when there's gold at the end. Research where those claims are at Land Matters though!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have relatives who lived in Allegheny back in the late 40's into the late 60's and my aunt told me stories of driving the Foote road when the route to Hwy 49 was closed..due to snow if I remember right. Now that would be a real adventure if Footes was snowy too!

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
ive raced on roads like that.didnt like it but it was part of the course, looks like a fun trip and cool gold.
brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread