What rivers to pan in?

1jss1

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2021
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently went to a river in my area to pan for gold, and despite digging up gravel from gold traps, and finding plenty of black sand, I found nothing. I had even researched a gold map, and found out that where i was, was down stream from a gold mine. Is there any way to tell the rivers that have gold in them, and those that have too little to be worth it?

Upvote 0

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t hunt gold but I can tell you with a decent degree of certainty that you won’t get put to work in any rivers that are productive....by someone else. It’s just too precious of a thing. It’s like asking where the bushel of money is. You might get general answers like...what to look for, signs gold might be present...general stuff you already know. But if I knew of a place I could pan a bunch of gold, the last thing I’d do is tell someone else about it. Just me...good luck in your search!
P.S. If you find a great spot....BE QUIET!!8-)

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you are panning in the right spots on your river first, before you give up on it. Look for charts on how to read a river, also see if you can find a local prospecting club that can give you some pointers on the gold in your area, you might have micro gold and it will take more than panning to get the real small stuff. One of the areas I go to out here in California is named grub gulch and was only good enough to get enough gold for grub, but not rich. LOL It has micro gold, but if you go after it correctly you can bring quite a bit home and have some fun doing it. Good luck and hopefully you will have some full pans in your future.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a gold mine map of SC.Find a creek(that's legal to hunt) near these mines,and move some boulders(that are on,or near the inside bend of that creek) .IF there is any gold at all it will be under these boulders :)Good luck
You'll need this > 007.JPG

>>> https://raregoldnuggets.com/?p=839

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just takes time. Prospecting is looking for gold not finding it. Mining is knowing where the gold is and getting it. Just keep at it. Test around, hell you could have been two feet away from a nice pocket, only time will tell.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently went to a river in my area to pan for gold, and despite digging up gravel from gold traps, and finding plenty of black sand, I found nothing. I had even researched a gold map, and found out that where i was, was down stream from a gold mine. Is there any way to tell the rivers that have gold in them, and those that have too little to be worth it?

Wish you shared a pic of river, that would make it easier to give you advise, of the years I have mined and tested over 200 rivers my first way is if there is moss on the rocks, test that and also any plants along the river test the roots. Those will be your first and best indicators of the presence of gold. I am presently mining a little patch of reeds and so far I have found over 9 grams from the roots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions