Gold in all the wrong places - your stories please
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree56Likes
  • 1 Post By Xplore
  • 10 Post By et1955
  • 6 Post By N-Lionberger
  • 4 Post By mikep691
  • 4 Post By Bodfish Mike
  • 2 Post By metrotec
  • 3 Post By russau
  • 2 Post By Capt Nemo
  • 5 Post By et1955
  • 6 Post By winners58
  • 7 Post By RTR
  • 6 Post By Laz7777

Thread: Gold in all the wrong places - your stories please

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Nov 2018
    North Vancouver, BC
    71 times
    Prospecting

Gold in all the wrong places - your stories please

It's well known that gold tends to settle out at inside bends, where rivers and creeks widen, in tree roots, or behind / downstream of obstructions such as large boulders or groupings of boulders.

I'd like to hear some counter-examples of gold being found in the wrong places - outside bends, areas where the river is totally straight, areas where the river narrows, in front / upstream of obstructions etc.

Of course gold is where you find it, but it would be interesting to build a case for looking in the wrong places as well as the obvious ones.

Let's hear some stories!

-Xplore
    Phil likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    First of all as you look at a river don't assume that is the way it flowed, I learned that a long time ago, for you high benchers look at the deposits behind the rocks you move out of the banks, there will be a place behind it that is rich in gold also the usual heavies, for example my main river I have been mining for over 30 years I noticed the the gold and heavies were deposited differently than the present flow of the river, I call it archeologic mining. As I have dug down to 8ft. plus mined above the river 400ft. and spent over 10,000 on this river and had a lot fun doing it, best advice to all is look at the indicators. If you want to know what the indicators are" like 'this post and I will share also support MY Land Matters.
    RTR, delnorter, Injunbro and 7 others like this.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1279 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah the normal flow isn't really that great for judging gold locations, at flood stage things are a lot different.
    russau, Injunbro, Phil and 3 others like this.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1521 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you can find a map showing the ancient river beds, one thing you'll notice is that most were north-south flowing in their day. When the plates shifted these rivers were diverted and new east-west rivers were formed. I think this why you find bedrock at 6000 feet elevation. Some of these ancient rivers after the shift are now at the top of mountain ranges. If you're lucky enough to find the actual ancient river bed, though it may be very high up from the current east-west river, there may be a spectacular placer deposit. My claim, with fairly good gold is at 5000 feet and some, including me, is very near the ancient channel which runs near the Sierra crest.
    et1955, Phil, Gold4Mike and 1 others like this.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    1212 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    I have found gold at estate sales - yard sales - garage sales.
    Even found it dumpster diving which is definitely the wrong place for it.
    Cheers Mike
    et1955, Phil, Xplore and 1 others like this.
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    eye man

Jan 2020
    East Tennessee
    Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
    297 times
    Agreed, even the Mighty Mississippi has moved as much as a mile. Where there are fields, was at one time the river channel.
    Phil and russau like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5284 times
    And you would be surprised to see the amount of gold in the Mississippi & the Missouri River's ! Now if I could get a MASSIVE dredge permit to suck it up! The permit is named a sand & gravel permit and it's the EZest permit to be had ! If I was only half my age !!!!
    et1955, Phil and KevinInColorado like this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1600 times
    Well, not gold but amethyst. Found a couple small rounded lumps of amethyst in the Tomorrow River. These prove the ice shove theory over glacier theory. These are Thunder Bay amethyst which should be over by Duluth, but were found in the Green Bay Lobe area which never went through Thunder Bay. But, you take a circular piece of floating ice with CCW rotation, with a minimum diameter of Green Bay to Detroit, and place it at Thunder Bay on the north side, the southern edge will be exactly over the Tomorrow River. This ice may be Greenland's glaciers today.

For more proof, take a look at the nautical charts for Gray's Reef in Northren Lake Michigan. The reef is cut on a NW/SE line, instead of the NE/SW line that the Lake Michigan Lobe supposedly took. You can see it with Google maps.
    Phil and russau like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    [QUOTE=Bodfish Mike;6703241]I have found gold at estate sales - yard sales - garage sales.
    Even found it dumpster diving which is definitely the wrong place for it.
    Cheers Mike[/QUOTE
    I work in the University District in Seattle, you would not believe what these collage kids throw away when they move, I found a 1867 gold 20 franc coin dumpster diving and a lot of silver jewelry and a lot more. Cool thing is at the end of every quarter people move out and more treasures are found.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3942 times
    I've found gold in worked out areas on top of large boulders, I have concluded in the high water stage that some nuggets bounce.
    Phil, Gold4Mike, et1955 and 3 others like this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    Last week my dog found this on my clean-up room floor Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	1907082
    Phil, et1955, Gold4Mike and 4 others like this.

us
    Dec 2015
    South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
    GoldBug II
    499 times
    Prospecting
    I regularly look in places that seem to not be worth anything, and I've found some good color simply because others didn't think so either.
    outside curvers on bedrock higher up than normal are good for large flake and flour, for example.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety.

Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, November 11, 1755

ca
    Nov 2018
    North Vancouver, BC
    71 times
    Prospecting
    Some interesting stories everyone, thanks!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links