Lower Arkansas River
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree25Likes
  • 4 Post By crashbandicoot
  • 5 Post By Ohiogoldfever
  • 1 Post By crashbandicoot
  • 4 Post By KevinInColorado
  • 2 Post By crashbandicoot
  • 3 Post By et1955
  • 1 Post By Johnnybravo300
  • 2 Post By Clay Diggins
  • 3 Post By crashbandicoot

Thread: Lower Arkansas River

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    324 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Lower Arkansas River

I live in S.E.Arkansas near the Arkansas River.I,ve read of Flour gold in the upper reaches of the River and was wondering if you prospectors think any of that gold could wash all the way down here.In spring high water the current runs pretty fast.I,ve seen what I think is black sand mixed in with regular sand along the sand bars.Below the last dam on the river all land below the mean high water mark is considered public so no problems with permissions but we,re talking millions of tons of sand here.I,m not talking get rich stuff,just maybe some color just to say I found some gold and something to do to get out of the house and away from the rat race.I,d just be panning.This is very close to where the Arkansas runs into the Mississippi and I,m familiar with the area having spent lots of time there fishing and hunting.So what do you real prospectors think?Thank you for any comments or advice.

us
    Certified village idiot

Oct 2020
    Dayton Ohio
    203 times
    Pans are cheap. There’s one way to find out. Get you feet we and your hands dirty.

us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogoldfever View Post
    Pans are cheap. There’s one way to find out. Get you feet we and your hands dirty.
    Thanks,I was going to do that regardless,I just wanted some opinions from on here.Lots of knowledge available and most are great about passing it on!Thanks again for the encouragement and good luck to you.
    Fat likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11221 times
    Prospecting

Lower Arkansas River

Yes, there will be fine gold there. The upper Arkansas River is loaded with the sort of very small colors that will easily move during high water. Over the millennia you can be sure that gold has moved all the way down stream to you!

us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    324 times
    Thanks there Kevin,that,s the kind of thing I was looking for,just a bit of confirmation I might be on the right track.can,t wait for the River to go down and give it a try.
    KevinInColorado and Fat like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    If the gold is really fine you might consider looking at how we mine on the oceans beaches here on the west coast.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2614 times
    Prospecting
    I read something a few years ago that the gold had reached 180 miles from the Rockies or something.
    I cant remember now exactly but it was something like that.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Mar 11, 2021 at 09:54 AM.
    Fat likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11703 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    I read something a few years ago that the gold had reached 180 miles from the Rockies or something.
    I cant remember now exactly but it was something like that.
    That's probably about right if you are writing about recoverable gold. The gold found in the northwest portion of the Arkansas river in Arkansas state is most likely from the Wichita mountains.

South of Pine Bluff Arkansas there is essentially zero chance of recoverable gold in the river. North of Pine Bluff the undammed portions of the river may have some slight chance of a few pieces of small but recoverable gold.
    russau and crashbandicoot like this.

us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    That's probably about right if you are writing about recoverable gold. The gold found in the northwest portion of the Arkansas river in Arkansas state is most likely from the Wichita mountains.

South of Pine Bluff Arkansas there is essentially zero chance of recoverable gold in the river. North of Pine Bluff the undammed portions of the river may have some slight chance of a few pieces of small but recoverable gold.
    I,m gonna give it a try just to satisfy my own curiosity,you don,t know if you don,t go.It,ll give me something interesting to do and get out of this damned house for a while.On the day that I cease to be curious about things like this is the day I.ll know I,ve had it here on this earth.All comments are appreciated,thanks guys.

Sponsored Links