Lower Arkansas River

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in S.E.Arkansas near the Arkansas River.I,ve read of Flour gold in the upper reaches of the River and was wondering if you prospectors think any of that gold could wash all the way down here.In spring high water the current runs pretty fast.I,ve seen what I think is black sand mixed in with regular sand along the sand bars.Below the last dam on the river all land below the mean high water mark is considered public so no problems with permissions but we,re talking millions of tons of sand here.I,m not talking get rich stuff,just maybe some color just to say I found some gold and something to do to get out of the house and away from the rat race.I,d just be panning.This is very close to where the Arkansas runs into the Mississippi and I,m familiar with the area having spent lots of time there fishing and hunting.So what do you real prospectors think?Thank you for any comments or advice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pans are cheap. There’s one way to find out. Get you feet we and your hands dirty.
Thanks,I was going to do that regardless,I just wanted some opinions from on here.Lots of knowledge available and most are great about passing it on!Thanks again for the encouragement and good luck to you.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, there will be fine gold there. The upper Arkansas River is loaded with the sort of very small colors that will easily move during high water. Over the millennia you can be sure that gold has moved all the way down stream to you!

OP
OP
C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks there Kevin,that,s the kind of thing I was looking for,just a bit of confirmation I might be on the right track.can,t wait for the River to go down and give it a try.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the gold is really fine you might consider looking at how we mine on the oceans beaches here on the west coast.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read something a few years ago that the gold had reached 180 miles from the Rockies or something.
I cant remember now exactly but it was something like that.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read something a few years ago that the gold had reached 180 miles from the Rockies or something.
I cant remember now exactly but it was something like that.

That's probably about right if you are writing about recoverable gold. The gold found in the northwest portion of the Arkansas river in Arkansas state is most likely from the Wichita mountains.

South of Pine Bluff Arkansas there is essentially zero chance of recoverable gold in the river. North of Pine Bluff the undammed portions of the river may have some slight chance of a few pieces of small but recoverable gold.

OP
OP
C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably about right if you are writing about recoverable gold. The gold found in the northwest portion of the Arkansas river in Arkansas state is most likely from the Wichita mountains.

South of Pine Bluff Arkansas there is essentially zero chance of recoverable gold in the river. North of Pine Bluff the undammed portions of the river may have some slight chance of a few pieces of small but recoverable gold.
I,m gonna give it a try just to satisfy my own curiosity,you don,t know if you don,t go.It,ll give me something interesting to do and get out of this damned house for a while.On the day that I cease to be curious about things like this is the day I.ll know I,ve had it here on this earth.All comments are appreciated,thanks guys.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll have to post a follow up to your question about gold in the Arkansas River... did you find any? :icon_scratch:
Dave

OP
OP
C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havn,t had a chance to go yet,the River,s been high and I can,t get to where I want to go so nothing to report,I,ll definitely let you guys know when I try it.Thanks all for the encouragement.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Havn,t had a chance to go yet,the River,s been high and I can,t get to where I want to go so nothing to report,I,ll definitely let you guys know when I try it.Thanks all for the encouragement.
Thanks very much for the follow up Crash.
There's no gold to be found in my area, unless I want to head to the beach of course. :icon_scratch:

But at my age when I wear a Speedo, I look like a head of cauliflower wrapped in a rubber band! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread